XXXIV

A COUPLE MONTHS LATER

"Congratulations... Yang Jungwon!" When his name is called, Jungwon walks toward the MC and receives his diploma. Everyone cheers, and Jungwon looks around for reassurance. In doing so, he sees Yona's father and Minji cheering for him the loudest in the crowd. He pauses accordingly beside the principal and takes a picture with him.

The principal then pats him on the back after bowing, "Congrats, boy." Jungwon mutters a nervous 'thank you' before proceeding to the line of students who've already had their names called.

"See, that wasn't so bad," a voice from behind says to Jungwon. He turns around to see Leehan smiling at him with his diploma proudly in his hand. Jungwon had been quite anxious about this day for some reason. So the friends had been consoling him since.

Education wasn't a very significant thing in the Vampire realm, so in his many centuries of life, he was never honoured for lasting through school. He looks at the sky and thinks to himself, I'd like to imagine that they're proud of me nonetheless.

Grace butts into the conversation as she readjusted her graduation cap, "We slayed that walk." Coincidentally, Leehan, Grace, and Yona were in the same line right behind Jungwon's.

As more names of graduates continued to be called, the four of them decided to engage in a conversation to pass the time. Yona uncomfortably sways side to side, "How long are we going to stand? My heels are starting to hurt my poor feet."

"Just wait a few more hours and I'll be taking them right off for you- OW!" Jungwon's playful words get interrupted when Grace kicks him in the shin.

Grace remarks in a quiet, hoarse voice while maintaining a fake smile for show, "Now is not the time to flirt with your girlfriend, asshole." They were on the stage for all of the crowd to see, so Grace didn't want to make an ugly face.

"May I call up the valedictorian for a special statement?" the principal says into the mic, and all stares go upon Grace. Spitefully narrowing her eyes at Jungwon for a split second, she reverts to her usual smiley facade and professionally makes her way to the podium.

"Two-faced," Jungwon mutters underneath his breath as she walked away. Yona firmly nudges him on the shoulder as a gesture that meant 'listen.'

"Thank you," Grace bobs her head when the principal hands her the mic. As she began to perform her valedictorian speech, the ambience was suddenly quiet. Props to her for that. Grace truly had a way with words, and she deserved to be valedictorian for being influential like that.

"These are our last moments as high schoolers," Leehan points out in a whisper. Jungwon gulps as he inevitably pursues this milestone of life. He couldn't help but zone out halfway through the speech. Yona notices and intertwines their fingers together from behind, and Jungwon exhales out as if that act had just rid him of all burden.