XXII

"I hope the future works out for me

"I hope the future works out for me."
What a very typical wish for someone to have, but it did belong to someone who didn't wish often. It was a good start for Yona.

The girl sat in front of the campfire with the moon glistening above her. The cabin was too uncomfortable - due to one person - for her liking, so she decided to stay here. She could hear the wood calling out in pain from the flames for the sake of her warmth. Indeed, it was March.

She didn't get to talk to Jungwon today as much as she wanted to because of all the camp games. It didn't help either that they were on different teams. One of the main points of this trip was to connect with him, so she wasn't very fulfilled.

He didn't seem super like himself today as well. She expected him to be a bit more competitive, but instead there was clumsiness in his play throughs. It was as if something was beating up him up, and it worried her. Her mind was telling her to go find him to talk to him about it, but he was probably at his cabin and girls aren't allowed at the North end where the boys resided.

Defeated, the only thing she could do was stay here at the campfire where both girls and boys could meet in the middle. As she does so, she aimlessly throws pebbles into the fire.

"Do you know what time it is?" an amused voice queries from behind her. If this was Leehan, then this guy must consistently have impeccable timing.

Yona whips her head around to be met with Leehan. "Late," she blankly responds as she returns to face the fire.

"Exactly," he clicks his tongue. He goes around the log and occupies the spot beside her. "It's 12AM, you should be sleeping."

She would've spun the narrative around to be on him, but she was aware that he was one of the students who volunteered to help prepare breakfast tomorrow. He was helping with storing the ingredients tonight. "Don't tell me what to do," she says with lack of a better defence.

"Always stubborn as hell," he breathes out. "That's one of your charms."

She extends both sides of her mouth to shortly smile, "I'm flattered." It was evident that she wasn't really in the mood to chat at the moment. She wanted to think, but Leehan always had to show up.

"So," he elongates the vowel. "What was your wish?" After getting to know her this long, she would've expected him to know her. Of course she wasn't going to answer!

She couldn't help but chuckle at his naivety. "The instructor said to not tell, so I'm not telling." Everyone knew his wish because he said it out loud multiple times. Somehow, he found a way to feel cheated.

"Come on. Pretty please?" She shook her head. He sighs in realization that nothing was going to sway her, "Sometimes your stubbornness isn't a charm."

"My stubbornness doesn't exist to charm you, Leehan." This was her attempt to put him in his place.