XXXII

"Jungwon? Yang Jungwon?!" Yona calls out into the darkness

"Jungwon? Yang Jungwon?!" Yona calls out into the darkness. She continues to repeat his name relentlessly, hoping that the desperation in her voice would motivate him to emerge from the shadows to meet her.

When Minji went to check on him earlier, he wasn't in the room her family had given him. He was bed-ridden for days, and instead of finding him sleeping like usual, Minji found a note on his bed that stated, "Don't look for me."

Yona had almost been everywhere, in all the possible places she could think of that related to Jungwon. The school, library, his house, her old house - he was nowhere to be found.

The situation she was putting herself in wasn't safe, either. The fatigue was evident in how she would bump into random obstructions and not paying mind while doing so; her reflexes and responses to the environment were as drained as her.

The weight of exhaustion threatened to pull her into sleep, however she was determined to ensure Jungwon's safety. She squeezes her eyes shut, then opens them wide in an effort to stay awake.

I can't lose him, she declares in her mind. I'd rather die, I can't live without him. "Jungwon!" she yells again in hopes of a response, but the only sound that returns to her is her own voice echoing.

At this point, she had already travelled the entire city. She breathes heavily as she reaches a staircase. A bit shaken, she holds onto the rails before unsteadily making her way down.

Her mind was plagued with all the negative possibilities. What if someone was going to hurt him? What if be was about to make a rash decision? What if he already did? What if he was going to kill himself? This is my fault, I'm the reason of all his misfortunes. If it weren't for my existence, none of this would've happened.

At the last thought, the heel of her foot misses a step. She gasps as the sensation of momentary weightlessness and the rush of wind consumes her.

This is when a tight hand grips onto her wrist, and she hangs toward the direction she almost fell. She looks at the height of the staircases, only now realizing how high it was. Her eyes were bloodshot open as she felt the blood that drained from her face return.

She could've accidentally killed herself if this person didn't grab her in time. Wait. Someone saved me. She takes a step back so that she wasn't hanging off the ledge of the step anymore. She was wide awake now.

She turns around, and her eyes lock unto someone else's. The moment their gazes met, Yona experiences that spine tinkling feeling she felt when she first met him in this life. His warm, soft aura, accompanied by his pretty face, full of familiarity.

This wasn't the first time he'd have saved her. From Jett, Rose, danger, and even from himself. He'd always be there to save her. Her eyes began searching his, and when he realizes that she was doing so, his expression loses all worry and gets replaced by vexation. He coldly lets go of her wrist and walks back up the stairs.