One

A/N: Natalie Hale's Pic to the right side..

----

One

It feels like one of those moments when you just savor a moment of silence, then the next thing you know someone is shouting your name.

"Natalie, come on already. You'll be late for school!" mom shouted from the living room.

We just moved a week ago from my grandparents' house. The apartment we live in is a two bedroom, one bathroom complex. It is a normal place for a single mother to race her only teenage daughter.

I sighed and called. "Be there in a second." I grab my things and skipped my way towards the living room.

"Come on or you'll be late on you first day." She said as I reached her.

"You know, I'm never late from school. If it was so, I'll be in juvenile hall right now." I said, keeping the smirk off my face.

My mom giggled and replied, "Honey, they don't send you to jail just for being late," and giggled again. "Come on already before that happens." She added and grabbed her key and got to the door.

I got my things and packed lunch, stashing them all in my backpack then followed her out of our new apartment.

I have nothing against first day of school. I love the idea that it's my last year in high school. College was all I could think about, having to live alone and doing the thing I love. And, I'm still in the middle of convincing my mother to agree on my course of choice, fine arts. It wasn't her favorite topic.

On the way to school, she looked happy and humming a tune to herself. I take that as a good sign and an opportunity to talk to her about my plans.

"So, mom... about college..." I started, looking at her direction, and let it drop.

When I didn't continue, she asked out of curiosity like she was oblivious about it. "What about it, darling?" she asked.

"I was thinking... maybe, I could..." I started again, and paused rethinking. "Forget it, we can talk later." I said when she stopped a few blocks from school, as promised. I didn't want to be seen driven by my mother, being that I am a senior. And, I like the low profile.

"Sure honey, whatever you want. Then, give me a kiss." She said grinning and reached over me. After she let go, she said her goodbyes and I love you, I got out of the car.

I started walking away before she starts giving me her usual lectures about safety and having fun. I almost half ran towards the school when I looked at my watch; I have 30 minutes to get there and look for the office and get to my locker.

This first day of school was different because it was a different school. My mother just has to pick the best time to get a hold of her life and found a job in a different state. I have to leave everything behind and start again. I have nothing against it. It's not like I was popular and wanted in my old school. I did have friends, but nothing close. In truth, I was glad I got out. I needed that fresh start.

When I got to the office, I presented myself to the lady in the desk, which was obvious that she was the secretary in charge. I introduced myself and asked for my schedule and slip. She greeted me warmly and gave me what I asked. After that, she wished me good luck on my first day, and I thanked her, trying to look jolly and ran out before it got awkward.

I got to my locker without looking out of place. People looked and glanced but nobody stared as I walked by. I took it as a good sign and felt that I may like this place. When I finally got to my locker, I was slightly aware that someone was staring at me. But, I dropped it because I was distracted with my locker not opening. After two tries, I finally got pissed and banged it with the side of my right fist, and then it opened. I sighed with relief and start putting and arranging my stuff inside. I looked at my schedule and sighed, a smirk creeping on my face.

I have history, physics, math, psychology, and French in the morning; and, in the afternoon, I have physical education and music and art. It was like an afternoon date with my dream guy. Though I don't count physical education as a likable subject, I don't suck but I don't like it much. But, my morning schedule was another story. Since I was in an advance placement in my previous school, it would be easy for me to catch up. And, seniors in this school have the privilege to take a class to their liking. I choose art of course, but it comes with music. I don't have any complains.

I got myself together and start grabbing my books for my morning class, then close my locker. I let out a huge breath and close my eyes to settle myself. Here it goes, I said mentally to myself and turned around, facing a brown haired guy with a smirk on his face that slowly turned into a smile.

I don't like people staring at me, so I was sure I have a pissed off look on my face. When he just continue to stare and not say anything, I couldn't help but comment. "Is there something on my face that you just can't look away?" I said harshly with annoyance.

"I'm sorry if I have offended you by staring. It was just fun looking at you being pissed then sigh and calmed yourself. I've never seen anyone portrayed three different emotions in one go. You looked animated." He said, his mouth twitching, trying not to laugh.

"I'm glad to be the source of you entertainment. " I said sarcastically and rolled my eyes. "Mind your own business jerk. " I spat at him, looking sternly to make my words real. After that, I turned away from him in the other direction and started walking.

Before I got a few paces away, someone grabbed me in the shoulder and span me around. Shocked rushed through me and my mind went blank for a second, and then I looked at the guy who was mocking me, standing in front of me.

"Hey!" I exclaimed with annoyance. This guy is getting on my nerves, and I thought I was having a good day.

"Wait a second. I said I was sorry okay, don't be mad at me." he said, pleading with his eyes.

I didn't get the guy, and my temper is almost at its limit. "You gave it to yourself. Now, let go of me. Gosh..." I said, and shove his hands off my shoulder angrily.

He held both his hands up, looking sheepish. "Hey, I was just kidding around. I'm sorry..." he said, then offered a hand towards me. "I'm Nick. I know you are new since I know almost everyone here. What's your name?" he continued, with a smile.

"So, that's how guys here hit on girls. It's pretty lame. You can do better than that, Nick." I said, fighting a smirk off my face.

I slowly turned around and walked away without answering his question.

"Hey! Your name?" he asked again as he kept a pace behind me.

I ignored him since I knew I've reached my destination for my first class. I guessed somehow he would walk away and go to his class, but I was wrong with that assumption. I was a few paces ahead of him when I entered the room. I didn't notice him go in with me until I settled down in a chair at the back of the class. He sat down on the chair beside me.

"So, since you've settled in. Mind if you tell me your name?" he said with a smile.

"God!... Go to class. Stop following me around. "I said, shocked to see him there. I put a hand on my chest and let out a breath to calm myself down.

"Oh. Sorry for startling you. But, this IS my class..." he said, and smiled amusingly. "So, you're a senior..." he stated.

The boy was annoying the hell out of me. I couldn't take his enthusiasm and smile. I tried to ignore him but failed. He kept on staring at me. After 15 minutes, I turned and looked at him with an expression that says PISS OFF.

I was trying to send chills down his spine like how people use to react when I give it to them. So, it was a surprise for me when he burst in to a roll of laughter, stopping the teacher's discussion.

"Mr. Sanders is there something funny about what I said?" the teacher asked, looking a little annoyed, but not pissed.

"I'm sorry for interrupting the lecture Mr. Rupert. I found nothing funny from anything you said. I was just distracted..." he said and let out a chuckle in the end.

"Please keep it down and listen Mr. Sanders. I don't want to send you to detention. I'll give you a warning for now." The teacher said with a sigh then smirked. He collected his thoughts for a second before he went back to his discussion.

I couldn't believe he got away with it. What is with this guy? He is totally getting on my nerves. I went back to ignoring him, but I couldn't help and be conscious with his stares. This is going to be a long 45 minutes, and I'm praying he is not in my other classes. It would certainly torture me for the whole year... I let out a sigh then heard someone chuckled beside me.

That morning, class after class, I ran whenever the bell rang and went to my next class disappointed. He was in each and every one of it. Every time I got in my classes, and saw him come in after, my patience grew lesser and lesser.

When the last class for the morning came, which was French, I sighed with relief as I settled down. He was not in this class. I half smiled to myself, liking the idea that I would at least have one peaceful class in the morning.

I got distracted when I heard someone walked in after everyone in the classroom settled down. My jaw dropped when the teacher, a female, came in with Nick, carrying a huge pile of booklets.

He had a smirk on his face as the teacher, a female - I have to emphasize that - , was giggling about something, glancing at Nick with a slight seductive look. I almost gagged and coughed as I swallowed my saliva on the wrong pipe.

God! The guy was a classic flirt. I stared him down with my death glare, yet turned away when he noticed me. He flashed me his annoying smile, showing all his perfect white teeth. This is so not happening.

Since the seat beside me was taken, and I intentionally sat there knowingly someone would occupy the chair beside me; but then, he grabbed an empty chair behind me. I was stupid enough to not have thought on that part. I didn't look up when he passed by me. When he settled down behind me, I let out a sigh unknowingly. Then, I heard a chuckle behind me. He was definitely trying to irritate me to death.

As the class was in session, I was mentally planning my escape for lunch. I don't want to make a scene when I finally snapped and kill the guy. But, at the end of the class, the teacher, Ms. Harp, called for my attention.

"Ms. Hale, can I have a minute with you after class?" Ms. Harp said as she finished her lessons. Then, the bell rang.

I slowly grabbed my things, letting him get out of my sight before walking up to the teacher's table. I was not in the mood as I reach her.

"What is it, Ms Harp?" I asked, almost sounding rude. I was startled at my tone. I paused and apologize. "I'm sorry. I just have a rough day." I added.

"Is someone bothering you?" she asked, giving me a soft smile.

"It's nothing..." I said, then paused letting the thought drop. I don't let other people mind my business.

"Okay then.." she said, not pressing the issue. Then, she added, "If you need anything, someone to talk to... I'm glad to listen."

"Sure." I said, not wanting to be rude. I looked around the room, trying to seem indifferent. I was in the midst of thinking on how to escape lunch without people staring at me. It was pretty late already. "Can I go?" I asked after she didn't say a thing.

"Sure. Enjoy the rest of your day." She said, and gestured her hand towards the door.

I walked fast towards the door without a backward glance. But, before I got a few paces away from the door, he was there leaning outside with a smirk on his face.

I was totally going to punch someone on the face, and it wouldn't be pretty when I'm finish with it.

----

Hello dear readers. This would be the third story that i've made. I hope you like chapter one, though it's hanging in the end there.. that's just the essence of the thrill..

Please comment and tell me what you think, and vote if you like it. I would appreciate the gesture..

Til next chapter..

....Melon Diaries...