Twenty four

Twenty four

I stood there, staring at her as she stared back at me, mirroring my shock expression. What was she doing here? I thought she had work. And then I glance at the person standing beside her, it was a person I knew too well, it was our family lawyer, well used to be, since he works for my father. What are they doing here? Why is she meeting him? My head was spinning with so many questions. I was too dumbstruck to talk.

“Natalie? What are you doing here?” she asked, still in her shocked state.

I couldn’t answer her; my voice was stock in my throat. I just stood there for a moment, still looking at her, until someone patted my shoulder. I jumped in surprise and turned to look at the person in question.

“Nat, I thought you wandered off. Where were you?” Adam asked.

I stared at him for a moment and glance back at my mother, who was still standing where she stood. Adam looked at where I glance and I heard him gasped slightly beside me.

“What is she doing here?” he asked, whispering towards me.

“I… I don’t know…” I finally spoke, but my voice shook.

“Do you want to…?” he trailed off, tugging my arm, snapping me out of my stunned state.

I grabbed Adam’s arm, making a run for it. As we ran, I bumped to a few people, ignoring their cry of outrage. I was focused on getting away from here. I need to get away before I bust. When we were finally outside, I didn’t stop walking until we reached to Adam’s car, which was parked back at the coffee shop.

“Natalie! Please let go of my arm…” Adam shouts, tugging his arm from my hold.

I turned, stunned, when I finally snapped out of it. I looked at him and let go of his arm directly. “Oh My God… I …. I’m sorry…. I didn’t mean to…” I said, as my voice started to turn to sobs.

“Its okay, Nat. I understand…” he said soothingly, as he stepped closer to me and started rubbing my back to help me come down.

I stood there, sobbing, covering my face with my hands as tears started to fall uncontrollably. I felt betrayed and disappointed. My own mother hid something from me and now this happens. I thought for three years it was just nothing more than pain and misery that broke my family apart, which caused all bitterness in my life. Why did they lie to me? I felt so left out and abandon at the moment, like I was lost in the wilderness where there are no paths as darkness surrounds me. So, I cried and cried until I knew tears wouldn’t fall anymore.

Adam drove us silently back to town, I didn’t want to go home at all. I knew she would be there and wait, but I couldn’t face her, not now. So, I called Maddy and asked her a favor to stay with her for the night. She heard my voice shock when I talked to her in the phone and accepted the offer without second thought. She gave me directions to her house, which were the only time I talked to Adam; if not, then silence would engulf us.