Twenty three

Twenty three

I woke up today from the nonstop ringing of my phone beneath my pillow. I took it out and dismissed the alarm as I got up of bed. I sat there for a moment, taking everything in. I'm still in a dazed as to what happen yesterday night with Adam. Today, I am going to be secretly going to my father's work place. I sighed heavily and went to get myself ready. When I finished taking a shower, mom was already in the kitchen eating breakfast.

"Morning honey. Why are you so early today?" she asked after taking a sip of her coffee.

"No reason. I wanted to do some school work." I said nonchalantly, making a bored face and yawned. "What time will you be back today?" I asked.

"Uhm... late again, I think. The boss wants us to finish up an order today for tomorrow." She answered.

I nodded my head and went to get myself some breakfast. We chatted for a while until she had to go to work. After a few minutes, and washing the dishes, I went back to my room. I was half an hour early from the meeting time Adam and I agreed. I sat there for a few moments, staring at nothing then looked at the treasure chest. I was debating with myself last night whether I should read the letter now. Maybe it could help me today with the investigation. Then, before I got myself the courage to finally read it, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I said, answering it after two rings.

"That was quick... I'm down stair by the car." Adam said, his voice sounded amused.

"I was waiting for your call actually... be down in a minute." I said, and ended the call, not bothering to say goodbye.

I hopped out my bed and got the satchel I was bringing for today's trip. I glance one last time at the treasure box before closing the door to my room. I locked the front door properly and put the key in my bag, and then skipped down stairs. Adam's car was parked in front; I smirked when I saw him and didn't think twice getting inside his car.

"Hey Nat, did you have a good sleep last night?" he asked when I settled in.

"Uhm..." I answered, as I put on the seat belt.

We were silent for a few minutes since I was still preoccupied with my thoughts about the letter. When Adam poked my shoulder, I was slightly startled by it. He saw my expression and laughed, I chuckled in tune with him. He lightens the mood after that, telling me some jokes and stories about his life in Europe and the troubles we went through. For instance, he once went on a double decker bus since he wanted to experience it, not knowing where it's destination. He was so preoccupied with the sights that he was driven to the next town; it took him the whole day to get back to his place. Nate and Adam were adventurers; they've been to many places with just a car and a few bucks in their pockets for gas. It is nice hearing that he didn't chance that side of him when Nate passed; and, now, Adam's travelling around the world before he took care of his grandmother.

It was almost lunch time when we finally got back in the city. The open field and wide roads was getting a little boring minute by minute that I thought we wouldn't find civilization again. Adam contacted Christian when we stopped by a diner for lunch. We were to meet at a coffee shop a few blocks from the company building in an hour. In that moment, I was having mixed emotions, I don't know whether to feel nervous or relieved to finally get this over with, but the question is, was I ready to find out the truth?

After eating and resting for a while, we drove to the meeting place and waited for Christian's arrival. I was fidgeting uncontrollably until Adam looked at me worriedly; I excused myself to the bathroom and cooled myself down. When I got back, Christians was already in our table, sitting across Adam, drinking coffee. He was wearing a slick grey suit, his dark brown hair had hint of grey in them yet he looked younger. I stiffen, feeling nervous about finally finding about the truth of my biological father.