Thirty one

Thirty one

When I woke up from that nightmare, the first thing I saw was white, nothing but white light. As my vision slowly clears, I understood that the white light was from the bulb in the ceiling which I was staring. Then, a soft squeezed in my hands made me notice that I wasn’t alone in the room.

“Good morning, Honey. I’m glad you are awake…” My mom’s soft voice lingered in the cool air.

I opened my mouth to give her a reply, yet my throat felt dry and no sound came out. She saw me trying to speak and understood why I couldn’t say a thing; thus, she stood up and helps me drink a glass of water which was place on the bed side table.

“Thank you mom…” I said after drinking, my voice sounding horse from the lack of usage.

“It was nothing honey. Do you need anything else?” she asked, sitting back down on the chair beside me and grab a hold of my hand.

“Mom. What happened? How long was I out?” I asked, looking around the place, feeling isolated and caged.

 “You were out for three days…” she answered silently. “Honey… I’m… I’m sorry… I didn’t know James would do such a thing… I thought that he would leave us alone… I’m so sorry.” She added, sobbing in tears.

“Mom…it’s not your fault… please don’t feel guilty about the actions of another person. James Walker is a sick, bastard who isn’t even my father…” I stated and hissed the last word.

“Oh, honey. I‘m sorry for keeping everything from you and for not telling you the truth. I’m so sorry…”she said and sobbed again.

“Mom, I understand why you did it… You just wanted to protect us from an ugly truth. I couldn’t blame you from being a mother.” I said, squeezing her hand lightly.

“Thank you, honey. Thank you.” she stood up and took a step towards me and gave me a hug.

We held each other in a tight embrace, finally being open with our feelings. Now, I wanted to know the truth, and I wanted to hear it from my own mother.

“Are you sure you want to hear this now? You just woke up.” My mom asked, after I tell her I wanted to know everything.

“Yes.” I answered with confidence and finality. I wanted it to be over it and since there weren’t anyone present to interrupt us, yet.

She heave out a sigh and started. “I met your father when I was in college. At the time, I didn’t know who he was or his family background. It was at a party when one of our mutual friends introduces us and from then on we clicked. He was a charming young man, and it also help that he was gorgeous too.” She paused to smile. “Henry Walker was a man who had power in his gasp, yet it was a power he never wanted to have. We were friends first before we were lovers. So, I knew everything about him inside out before I accepted his proposal to be his girlfriend. He courted me for years, believe it or not, since I was scared to be with him. When I knew who he was, that was a week from when we first met, I ran. But, he kept on popping up where I go, he was always there.” She turn her gaze away from me and out in the window.