Eighteen

Eighteen

Nick and I worked on our project for awhile, but stopped since our stomach grumbled out of hunger. We took a short break and ordered pizza. It was awkward for awhile since he was still shirtless. Then, while eating pizza silently, my phone started ringing. I picked it up and click the answer button without looking at the caller I.D.

“Hello?” I asked.

“Nat, is Nick there with you right now?” a deep voice asked at the other end of the line. A voice I was familiar with since I was with him last night.

“Rob… Yes, he is here.” I answered, feeling my face heating up.

“Yea, I thought so… can you ask him why he isn’t answering his phone?” he said, his voice stern.

“Uhm… sure.” I answered, a little taken back by his voice. “Nick, why aren’t you answering Rob’s calls?” I asked Nick, pushing the phone away from my mouth, covering it.

“What?” he asked, shocked, and started looking for it. Then, he stop as realization became evident in his face and slapped his forehead. “I left it in my car…”he stated, sighing.

“He said he left it in his car…” I said, putting the phone back to my ear.

“I knew it…” he mumble, sighing heavily. “ Can you ring me up? I’m down stairs.” He added.

“What?” I asked, surprised. I looked towards Nick’s shirtless figure and away. “Wait!” I shouted, feeling frantic. I ended the call and stood up, grabbing Nick’s almost dry shirt in the chair across us, and threw it at him hurriedly. “Put that on! Rob’s downstairs!” I instructed him angrily, and went to my room.

I looked at myself in my full-length mirror in disgustment. I was wearing my usual home clothes, consisted of a white shirt and sweat pants. I directly went to my closet, grabbing some decent clothes. When I was contented with what I wore, which was a tank-top and shorts, I got out with a huff and went to the door to ring him up. As I passed by the living room, Nick was still shirtless and was putting his feet in the table.

I kick his feet out of the table and got the towel he used and throw it to his face. “Get dress you jackass!” I shouted with rage.

“Geez… your no fun…” he started but trailed off as his gaze turned to me, his eyes wide with shock.

I felt uncomfortable under his gaze, so I walked away and buzzed Rob in. I waited by the door, tapping my feet impatiently. My heart was pounding with nervousness that I can’t describe. Then, I somehow snapped out of it for a moment, and felt uncharacteristically not myself. Did I just change for Rob? But before I pondered on those thoughts, someone knocked on the other side of the door. I opened it and smiled as the one person I wanted to see stood on the other side, looking like he just popped out of a fairytale dream.

“Hey.” He greeted, smirking. At the moment, as I looked at his chocolate brown eyes, it sparkled.

“Come in. I’m sorry it took so long.” I said, gesturing him to come inside. I silently heaved out a sigh that the rain already stop. I can’t have two Sander’s shirtless in the apartment.

“Where’s Nick?” he asked, his smile gone, replaced by a serious look.

“He’s in the…” I started, but was interrupted.

“Hey, cous. Who told you I was here?” Nick asked, appearing out of thin air.

“Aunt Claire is looking for you. You can’t ditch today.” Rob said, ignoring his question.

“Who said I was ditching? I’m only here for a while then I’ll hit the road later.” Nick answered, his voice has a hint of anger in them.

“Right…” Rob said sarcastically and ignored him. He turned his attention to me, his face relieved from his angry expression. “Are free this afternoon? We’re having a party, and mom wants to meet you.” he said.