Fourteen

Fourteen

The drive to my house was silent. When we got there, we didn’t make any notion of getting out of the car. As the silence grew, I became restless and made the first move on breaking the tension.

“Why did you…?” I started but paused, startled as he grabbed my wrist.

“Why did you contact him? I thought you promise not to.”He said, his voice an echo of disappointment.

I couldn’t give him a replied directly. I swallowed, my throat feeling dry, and tugged my hand to let his grip go. I look away for a moment, taking a deep breath, and looked back at him.

“You said, not to call. I texted him.” I confessed, my voice neutral and unnerving, unaffected by his words.

“You sure know how to make excuses. You know what I meant when I told you that…” He said, looking away from me towards the window in his left, and breathed a heavy sigh.

I kept my eye on him, not giving away the feeling of guilt when I broke his promise. I kept the silent air linger for a moment before I decided to get out of his car, he just nodded in reply. I didn’t stay long enough to wait for him to tell me goodbye and got myself out. As I walk towards the entrance of my apartment building, I didn’t glance once his direction. Before the door behind me closed, I heard a squeal of a car in reverse and, as the door closes, the silence continued on.

The next morning, the air felt eerie and thick for some reason. I felt guilty for what happened yesterday. I didn’t know the weighed of Nick’s words and his promise, but I chose to neglect it. I am raise better and I’ve not broken promises before. But, the key word in that sentence was ‘before’, I’m not the same person as I was. Thinking about it, about who I was, made my heart throb, so I let it drop and the memories of last afternoon fade with the rest of my past self.

When I reached school, I was oblivious about most of my surrounding. It was a surprise to me when Rob tapped my shoulder, which almost made me jumped back.

“Hey… It’s just me.” He said, when I turned to face him, shocked by his sudden appearance.

“I’m sorry about that… my mind is elsewhere…”I mumble, coming myself down and walked towards my locker.

“So, what did you do last night?” he asked as we reached my locker, his voice thick with curiosity.

“Nothing much. Just the usual.” I answered nonchalantly.

He was silent for a moment, pondering on my answer, and then asked another question. One I particularly wanted to forget. “What did Nick want from you yesterday?” he asked.

I sighed, remembering about the yesterday afternoon. My mood all but drains again. I closed my locker weakly, not slamming it like I used to, and then looked at Rob.

“He was just asking about our project. We’re… I meant… I’m stuck with him for a few weeks to make it.” I stated weakly like I was forced to do it.