Twenty

Twenty

Yesterday afternoon kept my mind busy from the problem that was facing me today. It’s a Sunday, the day that I’m going to meet Adam and talked about my past. It made my heart throb in pain and my head ache. After I got myself some breakfast and a shower, I waited in the living room, glancing the clock, waiting for Adam to pick me up. And every second, minute and hour passed by, I became more stress out about it. When my phone finally rings, I sighed in relief and answer it.

“Adam?” I asked, putting the phone in my ear.

“Yup, I’m down stairs.” He said, his voice weary.

“Okay. I’m coming down.” I said, and ended the call. I got my bag and locked the apartment since mom was still asleep from the busy day she had yesterday. I left a note for her in the kitchen so that she won’t worry I was gone.

When I finally reach the outside of the apartment, Adam’s car was in front of it. I walked towards it, looking around the place, like I felt someone was watching us. But, the streets were mostly empty and only a few children were playing by the swing that Rob and I talked a week ago. I jumped inside his car quickly and sighed a relief when I closed the door beside me.

“Morning. Are you alright?” Adam greeted, but asked when he saw my expression.

“Yea, I’m fine. Let’s just go.” I answered, keeping my face unreadable.

In truth, my head was in turmoil, and I was getting paranoid. I kept thinking about my father not being my real father, and what Adam said yesterday. My heart was pounding fast again, so I started breathing heavily. I turned to my right, so that Adam won’t see the panic and worry in my eyes. When we finally reach to our destination, which was the mall, I heave up another sigh. The place was pack since it was a weekend. I actually chose this location, somewhere there are many people, so that if ever someone were to do something to us there would be many witnesses. After Adam parked the car, we both jogged inside and walked towards a nearby coffee shop. As I settled down, he went to the register to order us some drinks. I sat there in our booth, watching as people passed by in front of me. Suddenly, I got the eerie feeling of being watched again, then Adam came and sat down across from me.

“Are you okay? You look tense.” He asked worriedly.

I shook my head and answered. “I’m fine. Just slightly nervous.”

“Uhm… so, what do you want to know?” he asked hesitantly, getting to the order of business.

“What did Nate tell you to do?” I asked, feeling my heart thumped as I give him my first question.

“I know you wanted to know about that…so, I brought the letter he gave me.” he said, pulling out a piece of paper in his pocket. “It’s kind of vague, but you’ll understand it as I did.” He added, putting the paper in the table in front of me.

I looked at it for a moment and glance up to him, and then he nodded in reply, telling me to go on and read it. I reached for it with a sigh and slowly open the folded paper.

Adam,

Sorry if this is sudden and very mysterious. I know it’s uncharacteristic of me to do something like this since I promise to her that I will always be there to protect her. If I break that promise, and I’m sure I did since you are reading this now, tell her I’m sorry.

What I’m about to ask you might be too much, but I know you’ll do it anyways. First thing, please protect my sister for me and be there for her when I couldn’t. Second, I want you to investigate something for me. Though, this would be hard for you, I have someone I trust to help you with it. Third and last, please don’t let anyone know about this letter, especially my sister. But, when the time comes, I hope you’ll be there for her when the truth comes out.