Thirty two

Thirty two

It was dark outside, almost dawn. Mom left me by myself for a moment since she has to go home and get some change of clothes. I saw this as an opportunity that I couldn’t overlook. So, I did what I had to do in order to do the one thing I wanted at the moment. I escape and sneaked out of the hospital and set on going to James Walker’s jail, which used to be my home.

Getting out of the hospital was easy since there weren’t that much people in that floor I was place. The nurse was out doing her rounds, so the hall was mostly empty. When I finally got out, I took the first bus to the train station. It was a good thing mom left her coin purse in the bag when she left in my room. I had enough money that can publicly transport me to my destination.

I hugged the trench coat that I stole in a closet back in the hospital since I was still wearing patient’s clothes. The chilly air gave me goose bumps as I sat waiting for the train. It didn’t take long for it to arrive so I tolerated the cold. For a moment, as I sat by myself in a bench out in the cold, I thought of the things I wanted to say to him. And before I could start punching a brick wall, the train arrived.

The ride to my next destination was silent and quick, and before I knew it, I was standing outside the building of the condominium where I used to live. I felt  a pang of sadness as I reminisce that days that I used to live here. For that, I only regret one thing. We could have gotten away from him before all of this happen. We should have ran away.

 The lobby was quiet with only a receptionist present. It was weird that it had lack of security being that someone is in house arrest. I didn’t really process the situation since an anger is bubbling up inside. I stepped in the elevator silently since the receptionist was busy chatting up with someone on the phone to notice. I press the top most button, feeling a sense of familiarity, since it was only three years ago I live in this place.

It was a slow waiting as the elevator descended to the top most floor. I tapped my foot impatiently, yet in my gut, I was so nervous. I run through some scenes in my head on how to approach him, but before I got to plan b, the elevator stopped and opened. My heart started beating fast. I pop my head out and took a small peek in the area to see if there are people guarding the door. But, with my luck, whether it was good or bad, no one was there at all. The hallway was silent as a ghost town.

I walked silently, taking deep breaths to calm myself, and stop in front of the door. I slowly turned the knob, happy that the door didn’t squeak as I push it open. When I was finally inside, I took a moment to stand in the middle of the room as memories came flooding back. Though I had mostly bad times living under his roof, there were some good times in it too. Nate always find ways to make things easier for me, but now he is gone forever.

My train of thoughts got distracted when I heard soft footsteps on my right. I turned, and there he was, walking slowly toward me like it was just any normal day.

“Natalie… I’m glad to see you’re not hurt…” he said, breaking the eerie silence in the room.

“Really? Stop with all the lies, UNCLE… Mom told me everything…” I said, hissing as I address him with the proper title.

“Good… took her long enough to actually decide anything…” he said, taking another step forward. “So, you now know the truth, does it give you any peace?” he asked.