Twenty one

Twenty one

It was the middle of the week and I am still sulking. Though you might think I didn’t have the energy and motivation to change that, I actually did, but I didn’t have the will to do it. I got to school with the same mood, but not for too long. Rob walked up to me, his face unreadable. For two days, he silently was there for me, yet didn’t pry for me to tell him what was wrong. I respected him for that, but today, I think he just snapped.

“Natalie, we need to talk.” He said, as he finally reached me by my locker.

“I can’t, maybe later. Class is about to start.” I answered, closing my locker.

He stared at me, not giving any reply or prying me to go with him. I know he only meant no harm and that he only did it since he’s worried.

“Meet me in the parking lot after school. We can talk then.” I offered and sighed.

“Okay.” he silently agreed.

The bell rang after, breaking the tension between us. I shyly waved him goodbye before I turned and walked away. I felt him lingered at where he stood for a moment, his stare bore into my back, before walking away towards his class. When I finally reached to my first class, I slumped down dramatically in my seat, ignoring the person sitting beside me.

“Trouble in paradise?” Nick asked, his voice filled with amusement.

I looked at him annoyingly, and hissed, not bothering on replying his remark. I turn my attention back in front, staring at nothing, waiting for the teacher to come in. But, Nick has other plans.

“You know having a bitter face doesn’t fit you. You should smile more.” Nick said, pocking my right arm.

I still ignored him, though the pocking is slowly making me on edge. He continued to poke my arm, like he knew it was making me on edge. I turned to look at him, but his face was serious and worried. I hardly saw this expression in his face, thus it caught me off guard. I stared back at him, dumbfounded, as he continued to look at me with such expression. He looked away from me, which help me snapped out of it, as the teacher called the class in order.

For the entire 45 minutes, it felt like hours as I sat there silently beside him. I kept on giving him sly glances, but at some point he caught me, making me flushed and directly look away from him. I heard him chuckled beside me as he caught me, but he didn’t comment on it. I tired to keep my eye from wondering to him, but it was hard since he kept on sighing from time to time. When the bell finally rang, ending our first class, I stood up way to fast, making my clumsy hands drop my book. I cursed mentally to myself on my stupidity and picked it up. I felt him stood up beside me, so I took a deep breath, holding it in as I waited for him to walk away.

“Are you okay there?” He asked, his voice to close beside me.

I turned around to where his voice was, but leaned away in the same second from the closeness. I didn’t notice him kneel down beside me. I looked away from him and started grabbing my things and stood up.