Twenty five

Twenty five

After running for who knows how long, I stopped in the middle of a park and sat at an empty bench. I sat there until the sun slowly sets, feeling numbed. I didn’t know where to go or who to call. I turned my phone off, not wanting anyone to find me. It was already dark when someone actually did. Someone slowly took my hand and squeezed it lightly, reeling me back to reality.

“Hey. Let’s go get you something hot to drink. Your hands are cold.” A deep voice calmly said to me.

I turned and faced the person, someone who I wouldn’t ever guess it will be. Nick’s blue eyes met mine as he looked at me worriedly. He slowly reached his warm up to my cheeks, wiping away the traces of tears that were already dried up. I closed my eyes, feeling his warm hand in my cheeks and felt another round of tears falling down. Then, surprisingly, he pulled me towards him and buried my face in his chest as I broke down again, but this time in his embrace. He let me cry for awhile until he escorted me towards his car, still holding me in his embrace. He drove me to a nearby coffee shop and brought me a hot caramel macchiato. We sat there silently for a moment.

“How did you find me?” I asked, breaking the silence, my voice thick from crying.

“Luck, I guess.” He answered, smirking. “They’re worried about you, you know. We’ve been looking from you for hours.” He added sadly.

I didn’t answer him and took a sip from my drink, not looking at his direction.

“You can talk to me, you know…” he said softly, making me look up at him. His face me stern, yet soft in a way. He was dead serious about it.

“Thanks for the offer, Nick. But, you know I can’t…” I said sadly, putting my drink down and stare at it sadly.

“Why can’t you? Maybe it isn’t that you can’t, it just you don’t want too. Why do you push people away?” he asked, caughting me off guard.

I looked at him shocked, but looked away again since he was right. I don’t let people into my life since Nate died. I vaulted my heart to keep things in and the other things out, so that i won't get hurt as easily anymore. I was like a rock, lifeless and dull.

“You don’t have to go through this on your own. You now have friends, your family, even my cousin would pretty much jump for a bullet for you…” he said, smirking again when he stated the last.

I smiled at what his said. He was right, though I hate to admit it, he was right. I wasn’t the same person as I was before, I was living again and I have friends. But, I still felt bad that my own mother hid something from me. Why did mom have to lie from me?

“You know the answers are just there in front of you, you’re just afraid to ask. Your mother loves you, and she was just protecting you. You should give her a chance…” Nick stated as he slowly stood up from his seat. “We should go so that you can solve these problems of yours.” He added, offering me his hand.

I looked at him, not knowing how to respond. I smiled up to him and took his hand. “Who are you and what did you do to Nicholas?” I asked teasingly, feeling light as he held my hand.