Thirty

Thirty

I don’t know how long we were stuck inside that dark, cold room, but it was long enough for my stomach to curl from hunger. I didn’t bother keeping it in and be embarrassed about it since I wasn’t the one whose stomach was growling loudly.

“Are they just going to starve us to death? That is such a lame way of killing someone…” Nick hissed as he rubbed his belly beside me.

“Nick, would you stop it? You’re starting to give me a headache.” I said, slapping him weakly in his shoulder.

“Right, you’re one to talk… I know sure as hell your hungry as me!” he exclaim.

“Shut it, will you? At least I’m calm about it and not being a lunatic… Don’t tell me I told you so after they’ve killed you from annoyance…” I said sarcastically.

“I’m so hungry….” Nick moaned again, rubbing is stomach.

From then on, I tried to tune him out, but it was hard since he kept shouting for food. At first, it was funny to hear; but when you’re as hungry as him, you can’t find anything humorous about it anymore. I tried closing my eyes and sleep off the hunger when Nick shook me.

“Wake up, someone is coming…” he whispered franticly. He moves beside me and put his arms around my waist to pull me closer to him.

I wanted to hiss in protest, but I was nervous and my mind wonders around as I thought who it was. And a part of me, the hungry part of me, wonders that someone finally listens to our plea and brought us food.

When the door finally open, letting the light get in the dark room, I flinch and close my eyes which wasn’t accustomed to it anymore. I waited it out and let my vision adjust before I saw the man who was standing in front of me. As my vision clears, I grasp from shock at the face of the man I would never guess to see.

“How are you, Natalie? It’s been so long… You never did give me a reply to the letter I given you so I took matters differently.”

“Dad? Wha… What are you doing here? You’re behind this?” I asked, trying to choke back my shock.

“Well, Natalie… There are dark, hidden secrets in this family that might shock you. And, first and foremost, I am not your father.” My dad stated and smirks coolly.

“I already knew that… That’s why I never give you a reply.” I hissed back a reply, annoyed at his lax expression. “Why are you doing this then? Revenge? At me? At mother?” I asked, my voice rising up an octave from the sudden bubble to rage inside of me.

“Revenge?” he asked and snorted. “Well… you can say that… But this is never about you or her, this is about something more, my dear Natalie, something beyond your comprehension.” He added.

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused.