Dᴇᴀᴅ Cᴀʟᴍ (3)

______________________________________

Estrella actually ended up walking home. She went straight to her shed to calm herself down. She was alone for a couple of hours before she heard knocking. The door opens as she looks up. She rolls her eyes before looking back down. "I was hoping you guys thought I fell down the drain."

Pope and Kie walk in and close the door behind them.

"We came to check on you." Kie says

"Texting is a thing."

"We have texted you. You didn't answer."

"Exactly." She says turning to grab some paint

"Estrella." Pope sighs

"You guys realize that everything JJ has done up until now has been for you guys ? He does all that so he can make sure you guys are safe and you guys show no appreciation whatsoever."

"He's stealing from drug dealers, Estrella." Kie says

"We literally just broke into an old ladies house, Kie. What's your point ?" Estrella shrugs

"It's not the same."

"Of course it isn't." She scoffs, "When it comes to JJ it's just him acting out, but we can do the same and it doesn't matter."

Estrella reaches up and grabs an unfinished board off of her wall. She sets it down on her table before sitting on her stool.

"I didn't mean what I said to him." Pope says, "I was just angry about him stealing the money. I know why he took the fall for me and I appreciate what he did."

"Tell him that. Not me."

"I'm telling you because I don't know if he'll even listen to me."

"He's going to listen to you, Pope. You're his best friend."

"And you're mine." He says walking closer, "And I'm sorry for what I said to him and I'll make sure he knows that. I just need to apologize to you too because I know some of what we said was insensitive." Estrella looks up to him, "I know how much you care about, JJ. I'm sorry."

She rolls her eyes playfully, "You make it very hard to stay mad at you." Pope chuckles as Kie smiles. Estrella lets out a deep breath. "I'm guessing something's happening. That's why you guys are here, right ?"

"Well, we did come to check on you," Kie says, "But we're going to go check out the pulley and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be."

"You wanna come ?" Pope asks

"Yeah, I guess." She stands up and puts her stuff away.

"Maybe JJ will show up." Pope says as they walk out.

"Hopefully." Estrella sighs as she closes and locks her door before following them to Pope's truck.

______________________________________

The three pull up to the Château.

"Gotta be done before my scholarship interview in the morning." Pope says

"Okay, well, we gotta focus." Kie says as they stop.

"I know. I know. It's gonna be fine." He says as they get out. "We got John B and JJ inside the well, and me up top. You, Estrella, and Sarah will be outside transporting."

"Yeah, we got this." Estelle says as they walk toward the trunk.

"Cool. Uh, I got a winch."

"Yeah."

"That tin can hold over like... 200, 300 pounds."

"Thanks." Kie blurts out

"Uh, what for ?"

"Stranding us. You know, making us make up."

"What makes you think that was me ?"

They're interrupted by a loud whirring sound. String lights flash on around them.

"What the hell ?" Pope says as they look around.

"Who the hell is that ?" Kie says before they walk over toward the sound. As they get closer, JJ comes into view. He was sitting in a hot tub with a bottle of alcohol in his hand. Different colored lights and blow up toys surrounding him.

"What did you do, JJ ?" Pope says as their steps slow.

"I got a jet going straight up my butt right now." JJ giggles, "Y'all should get in immediately, you hear me ? Salud !"

"How much did this cost ?"

"Uh. Well, with the generator, the petrol, and oh, hey, express delivery," He slurs before he chuckles, "pretty much all of it, yeah."

"All of it ?" Pope exclaims

"Yeah, all of it."

"You spent all the money in one day ?"

"Yeah," He nods, "burned a hole right through my pocket. But, I mean, like, come on, guys, like, look at this ! Finest in jet-based massage therapy, that's what they told me."

He looks around at them, "Kie, what ? Can't a man have a little luxury in life ? Come on, all this scrimpin' and scrapin'," He says getting choked up, "I mean, like... guys, we... You only live once, right ? Enough of this emotional shit. Get in the Cat's Ass. Come on."

"In the what ?" Kie says

"In the Cat's Ass. That's what I named her." He smiles, "Oh, hey, yo, I almost forgot."

He leans over and pushes a button. Water jets and a disco ball come out. "Huh ? Yeah, that's right, I know. Disco mode. That's right, baby !"

"Are you kidding me ?" Pope exclaims causing JJ's smile to fall, "You could have paid for restitution !"

"Or literally given it to any charity !"

"Guys." Estrella tries

"You could have helped us buy supplies to get the rest of the gold out of the well !"

"Pope, shut up !"

"Okay, well, you know what ? I didn't do that !" JJ says standing up. Estrella's eyes widen as she sees bruises littering his sides, "I got a hot tub ! For my friends. I got a hot tub for my friends. You know what ? No, you know what ? Screw friends." He slurs, "I got a hot tub for my family !"

"JJ, what the hell ?" Kie says

"I got this for you. Guys, look what I did for you ! All right ! Look at this ! Look at this !"

"Jay." Estrella sighs as tears fill her eyes

"No, you stop being emotional. It's fine, okay ?" He says as he looks at her. "I mean, it's sweet, right ? Everything... Just get in !"

Estrella gets in with no hesitation. Walking over to JJ and hugging him. He immediately falls into her arms as his head falls to her shoulder. He cries harder as she holds him.

"I just couldn't do it. I can't take him anymore ! I was gonna kill him." He cries. Estrella's own tears fall as his body shakes, "I just wanna do the right thing."

"I know, Jay. It's okay." She sniffles. She hears water splashing before Kie and Pope wrap their arms around them. She pulls him closer as JJ arms squeeze her waist.

______________________________________