Tʜᴇ Dᴀʀᴋᴇsᴛ Hᴏᴜʀ

______________________________________

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances." The judge says, "If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty."

Estrella's heart drops as the judge strikes the gavel. Murmurs were heard throughout the courtroom. Estrella looks over to Charlotte. The girls blue eyes mirroring her own.

"Your Honor, he's 17." JJ says as he stands. Pope quickly standing up beside him.

"Stop." Pope tries

"Quiet in the courtroom." The judge says

"No, he's 17 ! Are you kidding me ?" JJ exclaims. Estrella stands up walking over to him.

"You're good." Pope says

"Bailiff !"

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out." JJ says as the bailiff starts to lead John B out.

"John B ! John B !" Sarah cries, "John B ! No !"

"Sarah !" Estrella and Kie call out. Estrella takes a hold of Sarah's arm as an officer starts to push her back.

"Sarah !" Pope yells

"Stop ! Don't touch her !" Kie says as Sarah yanks her arm away from the officer. "Let's go, Sarah. Let's get out of here."

"Everybody out. Let's go." A man says. Estrella notices her breathing becoming irregular as they all step out of the courthouse.

"Justice is served."

"He had it coming."

"Is this a joke ? Like, are we in hell or... ?" Kie says

"I should have never come home." Sarah sniffles

"They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it." JJ says wringing his hat

"Sorry for what you and your family have gone through." A man says. Estrella looks over to notice him comforting Rose and Ward. Her anger quickly rises. "Thank God the system works."

"Can you please shut up ?" She exclaims. Her friends turning as well as Rose and Ward. "Of course you think the system worked because it was made to protect you and people like you."

"Estrella." Pope tries

"He'll have his day in court. A jury will decide."

"He shouldn't even be in court !" Kie yells from beside her, "You should, 'cause you're a murderer. You have a lot of nerve showing up to court."

"I know you're upset. I understand you're upset, okay ?" Ward says

"Upset ?" Estrella scoffs

"I know he's got you fooled. He's got you all fooled."