Tʜᴇ Hᴇɪsᴛ (4)

______________________________________

Estrella sighs happily as JJ sets the gun down on Shoupe's desk. He looks around at the teens.

"So y'all are telling me this is the firearm Rafe Cameron killed Peterkin with ?"

"That's exactly what we're telling you, Shoupe."

"And the exact same firearm that Ward just used to kill Gavin." Pope says

"I-" He stops, "And where's that corpse again ?"

"Didn't you look ?" Kie says

"I checked the hospital. I went by his house. He was out."

"He was out ?"

"No shit ! 'Cause he's dead !" JJ says

"Listen to yourself. It makes perfect sense." Estrella says

"Just because he's not in his damn home does not mean he was a victim of a homicide." Shoupe says

"What are you talking about ?" Kie says as Estrella scoffs

"I told you this was gonna happen." JJ says taking off his hat, "You gotta be kidding."

"Are you at least gonna send it in for ballistics and shit, or are you just gonna sit on your ass ?" Estrella says

"No, he's gonna sit there and wax that damn mustache. Is that even real ?" JJ says

"I'll wax this-" Shoupe says standing up

"Hey. Shut up, JJ !" Pope yells

"It's not fair." Kie says as she and Estrella watch Shoupe walk over to his door.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I hurt his feelings ?" JJ says sarcastically

Pope turns to him wide eyed, "Shut up !"

"Get out. I got work to do." Shoupe says opening the door

"Are you serious ?" JJ says

"Y'all are smelling up my damn office."

"Shit." Pope says hitting the table

"Did Ward bribe you ? This doesn't make any sense." Kie says walking out

"We know he did." Estrella says as he watches her walk past.

"You ain't gonna do shit." JJ mumbles storming out

"Out !"

As the three make it outside, Estrella sighs. Kie taking in a deep breath to stop herself from crying. JJ huffs as he puts his hat back on. "I knew this was gonna happen."

"What are we supposed to do now ?"

"I don't know, Kie." Estrella says as she sits down on the curb. Kie and JJ turn as the door opens revealing Pope.

"What did he say ?" Kie asks

"Nothing. Let's hope he just sends it in." Pope says

JJ scoffs, "Right, like he's gonna do the right thing."

Pope sighs as he looks to Estrella, "You okay, Estrella ?"

"Yeah." She mumbles, "Just feel disgusting and it's worse because it's for nothing."

"We can go to the shop." Pope suggests, "There's a shower out there so you guys don't have to go all the way home."

Estrella looks up, "Yeah, sure."

Kie nods as she stands up. The two walking off with the boys trudging behind them.

_______________________________________

Estrella sighs as the warm water comes down on her, rinsing away the dirt from the sewer. She definitely felt like the would have to take five more showers to feel completely clean, but this was definitely good for now.

She shuts the water off before looking up, "Uh, Kie ? Can you hand me the towel, please ?"

It's only a few seconds before the towel comes over the side. She reaches up and takes it, "Thank you."

She dries off and puts on some extra clothes Pope gave her. She opens the door as she brings the towel to her head drying her hair. She walks out, but slows down as she sees only JJ sitting there.

He turns upon hearing the door open. He notices her hesitancy to move. "Pope took Kie home. I figured I'd stay so you wouldn't be out here alone."

"Oh." Estrella mumbles as she continues drying her hair. She could tell as he sat there looking down at his hands wringing them together that he was having an internal conversation with himself.

She didn't know what to do really. She had noticed how JJ hugged her earlier, but just thought he was excited about finally finding the gun.

JJ was conflicted as well. He had spoken with Pope multiple times about talking with Estrella. Properly apologizing to her and maybe working towards being okay again. But he had somewhat made it his mission to try and avoid her.

There were so many different outcomes to the conversation and JJ didn't want to face rejection. Even though he knew he deserved it.

But against his better judgement and what he had been telling himself, he turned to her. "Can we talk ?"

Estrella was taken aback by the question. She and JJ hadn't talked in weeks. "Um, sure."

JJ watches as she makes her way to sit on the table. Placing her feet on the bench and setting the towel in her lap. He looks over at her, but her eyes stay in her lap. He blinks as he looks back down at his hands.

"I just- I wanted to say sorry to you. For everything." He says. Estrella looks over at him, "You didn't deserve me or John B hurting you like that. And as much as it sounds like a lie, I didn't mean to hurt you."

"I was being stupid and not even thinking about how it would hurt you. Kie would get on me all the time about telling you because she said it would be better to tell you than for you to find out on your own."

"I'm so sorry, Estrella." He says turning to her. His eyes soften when she doesn't turn away from
him, "I hate myself for making you feel like I was using you or that that night didn't mean anything to me. Because it did. And you do, too."

Estrella looks between his eyes as it goes silent between them. JJ's heart was beating hard in his chest as he waited for her to respond. When she turns away, his heart drops.

"You were my best friend, JJ. Well, besides Pope." She chuckles lightly, "You were probably the last person that I expected to hurt me."

JJ looks down, "I know and I'm sorry. Whatever I can do to make it up to you or for us to even be okay, I'll do."

Estrella nods to herself. She knew JJ was truly sorry, but she didn't know if she should forgive him that easily. She takes a second to choose her words before looking up toward the water. "I think I can forgive you," She starts. JJ sits up slightly, "but it's going to take awhile for me to trust you again."

"Okay." JJ nods

"And it's gonna take awhile for us to be completely normal again."

JJ falters a little at the statement, but as long as he has the chance to have Estrella in his life again, he could deal with that. "As long as it takes."

Estrella turns to him with a small smile. JJ's heart skips as he gives her one in return.

_______________________________________