Mother Condolences.

Everyone is silent. Uncomfortably silent in the carriage. Why? Why is nobody uttering a word? The only noise to be heard is the wheels of the carriage against the rough path below.

Every second, we're a second closer to the altar. My knee is shaking uncontrollably under my dress. My heart is racing a marathon beneath my rib cage. My ears are ringing with an awful high pitched sound. I can't bare it. I want to scream- but I can't because my family is here. I want to cry- but I can't because I'll inconveniently ruin my makeup.

My gaze leaves towards the window- We're almost there. Oh my god. Oh my god. I cant deal right now.

The carriage comes to a halt. And my father's voice replaces the sound of the wheels for the first time in an hour. "Okay, we're here." He states the obvious, like we didn't all just feel the sudden motion stop.

We all exit the carriage, and then are escorted to a a few rooms inside the Temple of Time in which we can do our final touches of getting ready before I walk down the isle. I'm left alone in a small-to-medium size room, with a vanity, bathroom, and a few other things that I don't really pay much attention to; my mind is elsewhere right now. I feel like I'm going to have a breakdown an-

A gentle knock is banged on my door, halting my thoughts, for the time being at least, and I bid whoever the person behind the door to enter. In walks my mother, with a bittersweet smile on her face. She is wearing a beautiful, royal blue dress with golden details to it, and beautiful jewelry of the same color. Her hair is in a neat bun at the top of her head. She looks stunning. I try to return the smile, but unfortunately fail to do one as wide as hers, and just decide to await whatever she has came to say or do.

Upon looking at me, she looks as if she is going to cry. "You look so beautiful." She states before she speaks again Zelda..." She starts softly, walking towards me in a saunter.

I stand up in return to face her. I'm not exactly sure why, I guess I maybe wanted to assert dominance? Show her that I'm not the weak little girl who she thinks can be pushed around. "Yes, mother?" I reply, no emotion behind my voice. Or at least I think.

"I-..." She speaks but I know she's at a loss for words. "I'm sorry." She finally says after a pause.

What? I wasn't expecting that. Yes, I guess I deserve an apology but I'm not sure what she's apologizing for right now. "Sorry for what?" I ask her in reply.

"For... everything." She stops her tracks a short distance away from me. "For you to be brought under all of these political affairs. For your freedom to be stripped from you at such a young age. For you being unable to find your true love. For the the way me and your father have treated you so sternly. When you were born, it was the happiest day of my entire life. You were my little miracle; my pride and joy. I swore I'd give you the life you deserved, and so did your father. But here we are, 16 years later. We failed you, Zelda. We failed you, your entire life- with all of the ridiculous and unrealistic expectations we set you, and now this. My beautiful daughter, I'm so incredibly sorry. I just hope one day, I'm not sure how... but I hope that things get better for you." Her voice shows clear pain and sorrow. If we weren't under such conditions, I'm sure she would have been brought to tears. As would I.

"Mother..." I'm at a loss of words now. I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to say to her. "I-... Why did this have to happen to me?" I question.

"I don't know, Zelda. Everything in your life that you experienced growing up was due to the expectations of the people of the kingdom. We knew one day that you'd marry a Prince somewhere and you'd have an amazing life- but we just never planned it to be like, well... this. But, from the bottom of my heart, I do truly hope that you'll find love within him."

I think I'm going to cry. My mother was never anywhere as near as harsh on me as my father, she actually always treated me very softly, up until the age of around 12. But she has been a lot harsher on me recently. And now, she is pouring her heart out to me and behind honest. I appreciate it, but it's making me feel emotional. We aren't going to be together like this properly ever again. I won't wake up and go greet her and my father, I will be greeting strangers, in a new home, with new staff.

I'm not really sure what to say to my mother now. But I'm not going to tell her I forgive her, because I don't. I don't know, or frankly care for the matter, if it makes me stubborn. I don't forgive them. "Thank you for the apology." I say in reply, trying my best to fight off the tears threatening to seep from my eyes.

"I really, truly mean it, Zelda." She replies, playing her hands on my cheeks. "You've grown to be so beautiful, you're all grown up." Her eyes begin to water. "You look just as I did when I was younger." She giggles lightly, before taking a deep breath and pulling me into a tight hug. Actually- it feels more like a tight squeeze. I can hardly breathe, but I manage to wrap my arms around her back and return the hug, embracing it. I love her so much.

After a few moments, we both pull away. She brings her head to look at me with her soft eyes and smile, "I love you, my darling. I wish you nothing but the very best for your new life. Your new adventure, I believe in you, my little bird."

Little Bird. Mother used to always call me that, for as long as I can remember. My eyes are so filled with tears, my vision is blurred. "Mother, you're going to make me cry." I say, laughing the tears away, and tilting my head up to the ceiling to prevent them streaming down my face and ruining my makeup.

She giggles back in return. "You look too beautiful to cry." She says, lightening the mood. Once I've finally pulled myself together, and she does to, she pulls me in for one last warm embrace. My arms again give in to her warm, small, frame. "I love you." She whispers under her breath into my ear.

"I love you too, Mother." I reply in the same tone.

Again, we break the hug and smile at each other with much love. Glancing at the time, my mother begins to speak again, "Your father will be coming in 20 minutes to come and take you to walk down the isle." She informs me. "I'll send Farore and Ravio to come say goodbye to you. Would you like them both at once, or separately?"

"Separately, please." I reply to her question. I want to be able to spend 5 minutes with my siblings separately, so I can appreciate both of them as much as I can.

Mother nods, before exiting my room and closing the door behind her. Sighing, I sit myself back down on the stool of my vanity. Looking at myself in the mirror, I start to feel exhausted. My appearance on the outside is the polar opposite of what I feel on the inside. Inside, my emotions probably looks hideous. In contrast, everyone keeps telling me I look beautiful on the outside. I wish I felt beautiful, all I feel is insecure and out of place.

Knock. Knock. Knock.