CHAPTER NINE

Mion has never been good at goodbyes, the reason for that probably being that the only ever real goodbye she had to say was to her mother

It was two weeks before her fifth birthday when little Mion had to say goodbye to her, barely understanding why she was in bed all day, tired and sad, when little Mion herself was giddy and so excited for her birthday. Rius Otis kept telling his daughter how her mommy was just a little sick and that she will be better if the young girl gave her mother lots of hugs and kisses, until one day she wouldn't wake up to them anymore. Back then, Mion couldn't understand the concept of dying, simply believing that her mother was going to come back one day after being gone for a while. She should've cherished the moments she had left with her even more, but Mion knew it was a stupid thing to think about, considering the fact that she was a small child and she loved every moment that was spent with her mother, even if it was just cuddling in her bed and listening to the words her father was reading to them from a book. How does one tell a child that they will grow up without their mother though?

There's a lot of things a mother would teach her daughter that Mion missed out on growing up, but the one thing she remembered was the love and the kindness her mother continued to spread, even on her worst days. It taught Mion a lot and it's something she continued on doing in hopes of making her mother proud. While Rius tried to talk a young Mion through the process of living without a mother and supported her where she could, the topic of her mother became a taboo over the years. Slowly but surely, Hanita Otis became a ghost and no matter how hard Mion pushed, her father wouldn't tell her more about her, pained of the memory of his late wife who was also the love of his life.

It made it even harder for Mion to leave behind the one person who was willing to tell her more about her mother and that quickly became something like an uncle to her. As the blonde looked into the eyes of Zeff, she knew that she would never forget him ever again. She was grateful for everything he had done for her and the crew.

"Take care of him as well, yeah? I have known that eggplant his whole life and that damn boy is too stubborn for his own good, he's different around you and no matter how hard I wish it wasn't you, it's you he chose to leave this place for, little squid", Zeff spoke as he found Mion's eyes. The man already told Mion how he couldn't stand to see her cry, but she couldn't help the few tears that escaped her eyes at his words.

The two have spent the whole morning together, wanting to make use of the last few hours they had, because Zeff knew better than to make Mion promise to come back someday. Those were empty promises they both knew she wouldn't be able to keep. He made her a proper breakfast and prepared some rations and barrels full of food for the crew to take with them.

"Send your father my way as soon as you see him again, we have a lot to talk about", Zeff added, holding Mion's hand with a proud smile. Having her stand in front of him still felt surreal. Mion was all grown up, a spitting image of her mother and it made Zeff realise that not all hope is lost for his once great friendship with Rius Otis.