CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Celebrating a destroyed village seemed cruel to many, but to the villagers of Coco Village it meant the return to a new and carefree life

Celebrating a destroyed village seemed cruel to many, but to the villagers of Coco Village it meant the return to a new and carefree life. That's why the children of the village decorated the remains of their homes, played the whole day and let out joyful shouts and by the end of the day, the village was lit up with fairy lights and a huge bonfire where they burnt the debris from Arlong Park.

Upbeat music was played and a few villagers danced, happy to finally be able to live their lives again. Children were running around with sparklers and some were handed to Usopp and Mion, who were talking quietly in a corner, watching over the celebration.

"So after this, we will be taking you home?", Usopp asked the girl after a short pause, turning to the girl who happily took the sparklers from the by-passing children. The huge smile on her face dimmed as she turned to the boy sitting besides her.

"I suppose...", she simply replied, not wanting to think about it just yet. She wanted to be in the moment, help and celebrate with the villagers. She wanted to enjoy a calm moment with her friends.

"But do you really want to?", Usopp could already see the answer on her face, she didn't even need to shake her head. The girl gulped as she turned away, looking out at the crowd. She found Nami sitting by one of the last houses that were still intact, she was smiling at the sight of Luffy and Zoro surrounded by kids and while Luffy seemed ecstatic, Zoro looked like he wanted to be put out of his misery quickly.

A few days ago all Mion wanted was to get back home as quickly as possible, ashamed by her failed plan and ready to take her father's scolding and to get back to her old life, but now she wasn't sure that was the right thing to do anymore. Having gotten to know the crew, even just the tiniest bit, has made her realize that there is so much more to life that books could never teach you. The blonde girl was sure that she just made friends for life and she wasn't ready to give them up just yet.

Her eyes drifted to the long line of people waiting to get food that Sanji had prepared, when her eyes locked on said boy and his kind smile while he gave out plates of steaming hot food to the villagers.

"You two are unbelievable you know? He looks at you like you're the most precious piece of art, even when you're not looking at him. And when you look at him it's like you realize what love means. I think it's the same with Kaya and me", Usopp explained the story of how they met and how much he missed her at times and it made Mion realize two things.

1. She wouldn't know how to live without Sanji anymore, or any of the crew members.

2. She definitely didn't want to go back, but her father deserved an explanation.

"I really need to meet her sometimes, she sounds so lovely", Mion added after Usopp finished his story and the look he sent her was enough to make her let out a laugh. "Really, that's all you got from what I just said, what about the part where I literally pointed out how in love you and Sanji are", Mion shoved Usopp jokingly, who then moaned about how he almost spilled his beer.