CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Calling out into the seemingly empty mansion made Mion take a step further into the grand foyer, letting the other straw hats trudge in behind her with curious glances

Calling out into the seemingly empty mansion made Mion take a step further into the grand foyer, letting the other straw hats trudge in behind her with curious glances. While the blonde was prepared to be met with her father's angered reaction, she was met with the sound of multiple footsteps and the sight of one of their maids and her youngest exitedly running after her. Mirianne and her daughter Dayani.

At the sight of the girl, Mirianne let out a huge sob, stuffing the cloth she just used into one of her uniforms' pockets to open her arms for Mion to run into. She has been the family's first maid for a long time and Mion owed a lot to the woman since she raised Mion like a daughter ever since her own died. Mirianne was not only a maid, but also a friend to her mother and her last wish was for Mirianne to be the one to care for her daughter — because she couldn't.

Their hug was brief, but desperately needed seeing as Mirianne was barely able to pull back. She was so relieved to see Mion alive and breathing.

All the while Dayani has been waiting patiently, staring up at the blonde with a huge smile. The young girl was only seven and looked like her mother, with her long black hair an her huge brown eyes. Mion's father didn't expect Mirianne to be pregnant when she applied for the job to be their maid but quite surprisingly Rius was more than delighted to have another baby bring some light into their home. Little did he know that that girl would grow up alongside Mion as Mirianne's oldest daughter, Callista.

It was an exciting time, back then most of Rius's crew was still living in Mary Geoise and they all gathered at the Otis' mansion frequently— their maids and butlers all welcome of course.

Rius Otis treated all of the maids and butlers they had with the utmost respect, something that many people in Mary Geoise frowned upon, but that's probably why Mion loved growing up with them and treated all of them like extended family.

One of their gardeners found his love in Mirianne and soon enough Dayani was born.

While Callista was only a few months younger than Mion and the two basically grew up together— it took a while for the two to get comfotable with each other. Callista barely spoke to Mion and despite her mother's nagging, she couldn't get warm with the bubbly blonde. It took years and dozens of tries for the two girls to bond and it was about something meaningless like lemon meringues.

Mirianne and Rius had a debate over what to make for dessert one day and while Rius immediately voiced his dislike for the sugary sweet treat, both Mion and Callista — both at the age of nine— immediately complained about how he had no taste and much to their parent's delight, that's how a lifelong friendship was formed.

From there, the girl was like the sister Mion always wanted. When Dayani was born some years later, both Callista and Mion were over the moon. Callista because she finally had someone to spend time with when Mion went to the academy or her piano lessons, and Mion because Callista finally got the chance to feel the exact same thing Mion felt, when she became friends with Callista— love for a younger sister.