CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Amidst all the maids and workers that were rushing around the so called 'ballroom' preparing the last bits and pieces, Mion was sitting with Usopp, folding some name cards for all the guests that her father had invited so hastily that he himself d...

Amidst all the maids and workers that were rushing around the so called 'ballroom' preparing the last bits and pieces, Mion was sitting with Usopp, folding some name cards for all the guests that her father had invited so hastily that he himself didn't know how many were going to fit into the medium sized but spacious ballroom.

"You know, we've been here for almost two weeks and I didn't even know this room existed like 20 minutes ago", Usopp looked up from his place across from Mion to look around the light flooded room. The two were seated at one of the many round tables that were placed for the guests to converse and eat at.

Equipped with a seating arrangement handdrawn by Mirianne and dozens of little papers, the duo was given the task to assign the seats while the rest of the straw hats were littered around the mansion with tasks of their own.

Mion just giggled at Usopp's expression, knowing well that living like this wasn't a given for most people, so she was happy she could give her friends a place where they could feel safe and protected at all times.

"Yeah we barely use it, especially not as a ballroom. This is usually the place where father goes to paint when he wants to be alone", Mion explained and realized that she hadn't seen him do that in a long time, even before she left Mary Geoise.

"Well, what better time to use it, right? Happy birthday", Usopp joked as he handed over a little origami he made out of the paper, Mion receiving it with a happy little smile.

"You already said that", Mion giggled, thinking back to the little celebration they had in the morning.

While Nami and Callista — although she had her own room — slept in Mion's bedroom with her, the boys all tumbled through the door at exactly 7am, scaring the living daylights out of Mion and the girls. Luffy was the first one to throw himself onto the bed, mostly onto Nami and Mion, congratulating the blonde with a huge smile on his lips.

Usopp, Zoro and Sanji seemed a bit more graceful as they waited for Mion to actually get out of bed before congratulating her. While Zoro left it at a short "Happy Birthday", Usopp embraced the girl with a huge grin, twirling her around as she laughed joyfully. It lured a cheesy grin from Zoro, who desperately tried to hide it by turning away, but Sanji nudged him mockingly, almost receiving a punch for it.

When it came to the blonde cook, Mion got incredibly shy all of a sudden. Sanji planted a soft, but longing kiss on her cheek, whispering some sweet words into her ear as he embraced her, pulling her against him. The girl's cheeks flushed a scarlet red as her body was pressed against his, the evening prior still clear in her mind.

Their little moment was ruined by Luffy, Usopp and Callista — whom Mion liked to call the tumultous trio — whistling and messing with the couple, while Zoro and Nami were now seated on the small couch near one of the huge windows, Zoro with his arms crossed and Nami with a huge grin on her face.