CHAPTER NINETEEN

Rius Otis did everything he could to provide for his family and while he knew that his past would come back to haunt him someday, he didn't want for it to happen like this

Rius was not proud of what he did, but never in a million years did he think it would hurt as badly to have his daughter look at him with nothing but pure disappointment.

The two of them were now stood in Mion's room after the man pulled his daughter away from their guests in the kitchen.

"What did he tell you?", he spoke up after a while of not knowing where to start, but he was met with silence. Rius took a step forward and clasped his hands around the girl's upper arms as he shook her, urging her on to respond.

"What did Zeff tell you?!"

He asked the girl again, shaking her more fiercely. It almost sounded like he was pleading for the girl to give him some kind of a reply, but Mion's eyes just widened in shock. It wasn't like his grip was hurting her, but it was so unlike him that the girl couldn't help to wonder if he had more to hide.

She struggled to get out of his grip and it took Rius a few moments to snap out of it and take a step back, not wanting to hurt his little girl any further. His expression stayed the same throughout it all— he was scared. He was even more scared than the day he realized Mion had left town on her own.

It didn't take long for Mion to tear up, but her gaze was fixed on her father, who fell apart right in front of her as the seconds went by.

"He told me about what you did, papa. He told me you did it for us, but I can't believe that", Mion choked out as she crossed her arms in front of her chest and started picking at the skin of one of them.

"Everything I do is for us, this family. For you!", the man rebutted in a softer tone and let out a sigh as he watched his daughter shake her head in disbelief.

"That gives you the right to destroy other families?", Mion shouted at her father for the first time and the little crack in her voice indicated that it wasn't easy for her. She started pacing around the room to distract herself from crying. For once she wanted to argue with her father, shout at him and not give in.

"Bounties are set for a reason! They were criminals. You wouldn't understand that", Rius argued, choosing to ignore the way she raised her voice at him as he deemed the discussion unnecessary. But to Mion it wasn't. She looked back at him from across the room, realizing that to him she was still a naive young kid and she really hated that.

"Listen to yourself, papa. I do understand and it's not thanks to you. I'm not a kid that you can lock away anymore, I'm old enough to understand that what you did was wrong and I'm ashamed to be the reason you killed innocent people", Mion shouted as she glared at her father, a few tears escaping her eyes.

As a father, Rius wanted to embrace his daughter and wipe the tears from her face, but still his expression froze over, fed up with his daughter's behavior and annoyed with how she couldn't see the bigger picture.