Chapter 1 | Amongst a Field of Lilies

The quiet shivering of stems brushing against each other was what awoke her

A breeze passed, delicately drifting its hand along every stem, leaf, and branch. It yearned to touch everything, yet it found some crevices untouchable through every drift it did.

She shifted, a shiver itching her skin until she shuddered. 

Caressing her pale skin, she'd hug it tightly before raising herself. 

A woman sat amongst a beautiful field of lilies. They were nearly ready to bloom, staring at the ground in anticipation.

Her white hair, longer than her height, trailed from where she used to rest and disappeared between the stems of flowers. The woman traced her delicate face- finding herself intact and alive. But why would she check if she was alive?
Eyes as white as the moon peered up, noticing it looking down at her from the sky. The distinct shape drawn across its round surface reminded her of a side-view of a wolf. Had it always been like that? She doesn't know.

When the woman looked back down at the lilies, she smiled.

White lilies were her favourite.

But she doesn't know why or even how she knew. It felt like she happened upon truths with no explanation.

She only wore a plain white dress that reached her mid-thigh. The woman shivered, noting the snow surrounding the area. She was nearly naked in the dead of winter- freezing amongst the beautiful flowers. How is it they've survived this long?

The crunching of snow stole her attention, and she turned her head to glance around the field.

Just outside, approached an elderly woman. She had long hair that had greyed from age a long time ago and beautiful marbled green eyes looking at her with worry.

"Dear? Are you okay?" She'd ask with a frown, her voice thick with an accent she didn't recognize.

The woman didn't know what to do, but she shook her head no with a frown.

The elderly woman gestured for her to come, "Make sure not to crush the lilies." She'd warn, "Come quickly. You're going to get frostbite!"

Timidly standing up, she'd have to bunch up her hair and delicately step between and around the flowers. The stranger watched with baited breaths, wincing whenever she thought she had stepped on a flower. Somehow, she'd manage to get out without hurting a single one.
The cold snow hurt the soles of her feet. The woman whimpered, still holding onto her platinum-white hair. The elderly woman ushered her away from the field, shrugging off her coat and putting it on the woman's shoulders.

"Quickly, my home is close by." She'd say, "How is it you got in the field? It's sacred- not a soul can go in..."

That explains why the woman was terrified of potentially hurting the flowers. The pale woman would be, too. The poor things are so delicate.

They rushed onto a pathway and through the woods that surrounded them. They'd run and run until a cabin was seen through the thick pine trees and snow.

All the woman could think about was the pain in her feet.