Chapter 13 | Her Savior

Heavy boots stepped into the room

She glanced up, still struggling under the grasp of Vor, hope swirling in her eyes at the stranger. 

Lily had only seen the man twice, but the sound of his heavy steps and breathing was engrained into her memory. While you'd think it was out of fear- it was out of comfort and familiarity.

"Leave this instant." The woman gripping her spat, her grip on Lily's cowl tightening.

The stranger ignored her, stepping in further. "Unhand her." He growled- his bass voice rumbling angrily.

Vor immediately let go of Lily. She fell to the ground with a thump and yelp, her back aching miserably. The stranger's fists tightened, chest rumbling with a growl.

The Ek stepped ahead until she was inches away from the cloaked man. Regardless of having to look up at him, her expression was tightened in irritation. She tightened her fists by her side, "How'd you know something was going on here," She hissed, "Huh?"

He kept his composure, though Lily couldn't see his face properly to know. He didn't answer the woman.

"Leave." He rumbled, "You're insufferable and insolent. Leave."

Lily's eyes widened as she watched Vor begin to convulse. Her skin got tighter- hair growing under her now straining clothing. The Ek's legs wobbled beneath her. Her chest heaved, and she breathed roughly. She was losing her cool.
Her hand flew up, but he grabbed it in the span of a second. Through ragged breathing, she muttered something in Tutchone. Lily couldn't hear it, but the man would scoff in response. "If you shift, Baldur will hear you."

Vor held her breath. The man rumbled, "You'll be punished for shifting in front of a guest."

She yanked her wrist out of his grasp, stepping back as her body stopped convulsing—her stretched clothing lax.

"Fuck you." Vor snapped, attempting to shove the man as she walked past. He didn't move an inch.

Finally, she stomped out of the room in a huff. The woman slammed the door shut once she was gone. Lily silently adjusted her cowl, body aching from the prior assault.

She felt the ground shift as his heavy steps sounded. The man approached her and crouched down.

"Thank you-" She muttered, but he quietly shushed her. "No need." His heavy voice was soft, almost delicate. It was nothing compared to what she heard earlier.

His large hand reached into the depths of his cloak- pulling out a small cloth. 

She tensed as he leaned forward- using it to wipe away her tears. Lily couldn't help but lean into his touch- the warmth and comfort he admitted making her swoon. "Someone like you shouldn't have to shed tears..." He whispered delicately.

Lily was in awe of how gentle he was. He was like a gentle giant- treating her like a glass sculpture that could shatter in a simple graze.

Wiping her face until it was clean, he rested the cloth on her lap and reached back into his cloak.

He'd take out... gifts.

 gifts