Chapter 25 | Hot and Cold

Hurriedly, Lily rushed to save herself

Yanking some blankets off the bed, she set them on the floor and wrapped herself with them. While it would be good to make a small nest to warm up in, she knew a fire would be the thing to save her life.

She was, most literally, freezing to death.

There was barely any in the fireplace, but it would have to do. She got on her knees, which hissed from the cold of the wooden floors, and tried to use a lighter she found.

Crossing her legs, she flicked the lighter on- but it refused to stay lit.

"Please..." She whispered desperately, trembling from the cold. "Come o-on..."

Just when she needed him most, he was here.

Two hands rested on her shoulders from behind. It was similar to earlier when she used that bow, but it felt so much more... real. Muscular arms wrapped around her, lifting her onto a warm lap.

A soothing baritone voice shushed her, "I'm here." He whispered.

Absolute relief washed through her. She definitely could've used him here earlier, but better late than never. 

His veiny hand stole the lighter from her hands, trying to light it but scoffing when it clearly didn't work. 

As she nestled further into his warmth, clasping her hands together and nuzzling her nose into his chest, he picked up a nearby flint rock. Ripping a piece of cloth off his cloak- he pulled out his knife and scraped it a few times on the cloth and rock.
In awe, Lily watched as the cloth lit aflame. He dropped it onto the small fire, waving at it a bit before the fire quickly got bigger and bigger. As the flame enlarged, she began to feel the warmth it emanated. 

"There we are." He muttered, "I'll get you warm in no time, doll."

The man was like a living radiator. He rubbed her arms quickly, softly cooing words of encouragement.

Was he trying to encourage her body to warm faster? That's adorable.

"You're shivering like a newborn fawn..." He whispered. She nodded hastily, curling up as much as she could in his lap.

"Was t-that you ea-earlier?" She whispered, voice trembling and teeth clattering. "I-In the... woods?"

He pressed a kiss against the crown of her head, "Mhm." He hummed, "Was gonna help, but..." The man closed his eyes, "You had it covered."

Her hands were still absolutely freezing. His much larger, calloused hands took hers- raising them to his lips and pressing kisses all over them. "You're far weaker than you should be..." He muttered, "You were never this susceptible to the cold..."

This susceptible? She was running through the woods in the dead of winter in nothing but a pair of boxers and a shirt! Who could sustain THAT?

After that final comment, the couple stayed silent. The fire bustled and crackled, hissing as its flames chewed on the wood.

The warmth from the fire and his own body heat did wonders at warming her up.

Though, he didn't seem to think so.

"This is taking too long." He huffed, clearly impatient.

The cloaked man began to cover her in kisses. She giggled as he peppered her neck, shoulders, and face with loving kisses. Lily felt her cheeks go red- warming up quickly from his gentle assault.

After his barrage of kisses, he leaned his head back and peered at her with satisfaction. "There we go." He nodded.

Now able to think properly, she thought about the fact he just... showed up. "Why didn't you stop Vor?" Lily suddenly asked, still nestled close to him on his lap.

He nearly went red with anger, "Of course, it was fucking Vor..." He hissed through gritted teeth.

Oh, apparently, he didn't know.

"I... felt you get further away." He narrowed his eyes at her, "I knew something wasn't right."

She smiled as he softly rubbed her cheek with the back of his hand, "You love midnight strolls- but not during the winter."

There he was again, saying something about her that she didn't know.

Before she could question him, he leaned down and pressed a slow kiss to her lips. She leaned into it, fluttering her eyes shut and exchanging breaths with him.

Pulling back with a gentle chu, he grinned. "You know..." He trailed off.

"Watching you use that bow was a big turn-on."