Chapter 3 | Far From Home

The front door swung open

The woman peaked over the couch, having difficulty seeing the door due to the heavy blankets and warm mug of tasty goodness.

"Oh, welcome home, dear." Eil greeted, slowly rising from the couch.

An elderly man covered in wrinkles slowly climbed the stairs, holding onto the railing. He was completely bald, a grey stubble hugging his strong jaw. Despite his old age, he was incredibly tall and bulged from under his clothing with muscle.

He raised his brow once he saw the plump woman sitting on the couch.

Eil approached him, putting a hand on his shoulder and leaning up to press a kiss against his lips. He quietly cooed, momentarily distracted, before shaking his head and gesturing to the woman. "Who is this?" He'd rumble.
She patted his shoulder before looking at the unnamed woman. "This is Njord, my husband." She said, "I found this woman outside in the cold. She..." Eil frowned sincerely, "She doesn't remember anything but her favourite flower."

Njord looked equally concerned, "What about her name?"

He frowned when the woman simply shook her head. She was also frowning, unable to ignore the saddening atmosphere.

The large man pointed at her drink, "Do you know what you're drinking?" He asked.

She glanced down at it- looking at the dark brown liquid. "No." She whimpered, "But I like how it tastes."

It was obvious his concerns weren't improving.

Eil gestured for him to lean down. She whispered in his ear, which the woman could hear, but they spoke in a foreign language. He nodded his head a bit, responding a few times in the language, before clearing his throat and readjusting his posture.

"Do you know where you are?" The elderly woman asked her, walking up to her and sitting next to her and her pile of blankets. Njord stood on with folded arms.

She shook her head no.

Njord sighed, 

"You're in Yukon, Canada."

"This should fit you nicely

"This should fit you nicely." Eil cooed.

The woman wore a comfortable bland grey t-shirt, reaching her mid-thigh, and cozy white sweatpants. The pants were meant for men, but her wide hips made it work.

She appreciated their kindness so much she nearly wanted to cry.

Walking out of the bathroom, Eil smiled warmly at her while sitting on the couch, "You look adorable, dear." She'd say, "Come, sit on the floor in front of me."

While wandering over, Eil kept talking. "Your hair is beautiful," She said, "But it's so long that it drags- which definitely won't do."

She sat down on the floor in front of the elderly woman.

Combing her fingers through her platinum-white hair, she'd quietly mentioned how soft and beautiful it was a few times. The woman sectioned her hair, taking different sections and crossing them over.
She moved the braid up to the upper back of her head, using a comb and hair tie to keep it in place. Her hair was so long that it took a while, but her braid reached her mid-back. Eil took a hand-held mirror and gave it to the woman.

Her hair was done in a Dutch braid. "Oh, you look so pretty!" She cheered.

She blushed furiously, pursing her lips. "Thank you so much..." She muttered, "I really like it."

Watching the elderly woman get up, she walked toward the kitchen. 

"I'm going to make you something to eat, okay?"

Goodness, these people are so nice!