Chapter 17 | The Way to a Woman's Heart is Through Her Stomach

"Hello, gorgeous

"Hello, gorgeous."

A light pink spread across her cheeks, though the rosyness could be excused by the cold weather. She clasped her hands.

"O-Oh-" She spluttered, "Uhm- Hello."

The taller man had lean muscle and peach skin shimmering under the sun's gentle light. His short crew-cut hair was dirty blonde, lighter than his chocolate eyes.

He rumbled with a chuckle, "The rumors are true." He smiled, "You are very cute."

Oh dear. Lily was a very shy person- so these compliments definitely weren't helping.

"Uh- Thank you..." She fidgeted nervously.

He approached her- his French vanilla scent wafting over her. "The name's Heidrun." He introduced, offering a hand, "Madame."

Lily nervously took his hand, "My name is Lily." At this point- she had given up on explaining it might not be her real name. He took her hand and planted a kiss on the back of it- making her light up a brilliant red. No more excuses now.
Heidrun appeared pleased with her reaction. "I'm the Sjóða for the tribe." He'd explain, "Which roughly means I'm the Hibernation Chef." Heidrun politely let go of her hand- letting her retract it into her chest.

She grasped it, rubbing her thumb on the back of it. Something about his touch made her think of the cloaked man.

"What does the hibernation chef do?" She'd ask.

He beamed, "I'm glad you asked." He laughed, "How about I show you? I'll make you something in the tribe's community kitchen." He jabbed a thumb in the direction of the building.

How kind! He was far more welcoming than most of the other people here- so she was thrilled to make more friends.

Heidrun would kindly lead Lily into the community building, passing a few tribe members before entering two large doors on the first floor. The door was labeled as the kitchen- clear as day.

It was incredibly tidy, almost homely. There were multiple ovens, fridges, and freezers across the room. Utensils lined the walls, and pots and pans were hidden in the cupboards. The familiar modern Nordic style continued on in the kitchen, obviously common throughout the building.

She admired the room while Heidrun got comfortable- tying a plain black apron around his waist. How cute!

"Any food you don't like?" He'd hum, opening the fridge and looking through the stock.

This is where Lily frowned. "I don't know..." She sighed- clearly sick with the topic of her amnesia today.

"That's alright." Heidrun hummed, taking the hint.

The tall man pulled out numerous ingredients, including spices and utensils. Lily sat on a stool- wiggling until she was comfortable. The woman watched in awe as he expertly cut the ingredients up. He was quick and precise.
Lifting her nose- she sniffed the air as the meat sizzling sounded. He'd spice it as it sizzled, beginning another pan to cook some unseeable vegetables. The delicious smell wafted into her nostrils- making her stomach grumble.

"As Sjóða, I cook food during the tribe's hibernation months." Heidrun suddenly began to explain, not looking at Lily. "Hibernation is where females fatten up and settle down while they go through the first half of their pregnancies."

She'd tilt her head- finding this concept fascinating. "What if they aren't pregnant?" She'd ask.

"Some women choose to hibernate anyway- some choose not to." He explained, "A few men tend to hibernate alongside the women- though they tend to do that to tend to their needs. Similar to what I do."

She hummed curiously, swaying her feet on the high stool. 

"So, you spend the months feeding pregnant women with strange cravings."

Heidrun let his head back and rumbled with a laugh, chest shaking from its humor. "That's a pretty good explanation."

Every time she learns more about this culture, it gets more fascinating. These tribe people had a beautiful community full of loving mothers, mates, and cheerful children. It was so lovely!

A plate was placed in front of her.

It was a plate of duck, cooked carrots, and green beans. "There you are." Heidrun smiled proudly.

"Thank you!" She cheered.

Digging into it- the taste of the duck made her swoon. It was quite good- maybe even one of her favourites! The taste of the carrots was joyful because everyone enjoyed cooked carrots, yet she'd pause when she got to the green beans.
Strangely- Lily did not feel excited about it. Digging into it anyway- Lily pursed her lips and hid her feelings under the surface. The green beans weren't poorly made or sour- but she... didn't like them. 

Seems she just rediscovered her least favourite food.

"This was delicious." She cooed, "Thank you so much for making it for me."

Heidrun leaned against the counter backward, wiping off his hands with a cloth. "Of course." He smiled, flashing her a wink.

Yet regardless of his clear flirting-

It only reminded her of the cloaked man.