Chapter 49 | A Greater Foe

The mortal goddess stumbled onto the podium- her palms against the stone due to her rushed state

Her gaze settled on a large form sprawled out ahead.

A jaguar, who's pelt shone under the warm sun, was laid out like a beautifully made French painting. The dark brown spots littering her fur broke the simple light brown and white patterns under them.

Still orange eyes seared into Selene's soul- eyeing her with a burning hatred beyond a mortal's comprehension.

Her ears pulled back with disdain.

Sunlight shone through the large jungle leaves of the forest- shimmering small spots along the ground and figures standing under them.

The small spots of sun were noticeably hotter compared to the shade.

The jaguar stood up. Her frame was towering and mighty- far greater then any werecat she's seen that day. She'd give a mini-van a run for its money.

Hulking forward, she'd snarl in the pale woman's face.

"Where is your wolf?" Spoke the Jaguar in a thick Venezuelan accent.

She opened and closed her mouth- but the words died in her throat. Selene threw a glance toward the King behind her, but noticed he was only bowing before the big cat.

"Far gone." Another accented voice spoke- thick with power and authority.

Selene faced the voice on her left.

A dark woman, taller then Selene, stood at the edge of the stone podium.

Jewelry hung from her neck, wrists, forearms, ankles, and stomach. Darker tattoos wrapped around her thighs, forearms, and legs.

A crown was wrapped around her forehead with a brilliant ruby shining in the middle.

With glowing sun-orange eyes- the woman lowered her chin and sneered through her brilliant red lips.

"We meet once more," The Goddess spoke, "Selene."

The Jaguar, who Selene knew as Kusikuy, darted to the woman's side. She stood behind her proudly.

Hesitantly, the werewolf nodded. "... Inti." She greeted, "It's been a... very, very long time."

"Spare the small talk, she-wolf." Inti snapped, "You've come to beg, have you not?"

Selene cowered. Begging was... one way to put it.

Kusikuy snarled, her lips raising to show her large fangs. "I will not listen to no conversing." The cat claimed, "Where is your wolf, Goddess? We have unfinished business."

"... Gone." Selene closed her fists and frowned, "I... I'm cursed."

The jaguar hissed while Inti shook her head, "Treat this seriously, wolf!" She'd point aggressively at her, "Let our over-due discussion not be of mockery and jokes."

"I'm serious!" The werewolf yelled, her eyes clouding. "I'm cursed! I'm in a pathetic state- I am nothing but a mortal without a wolf, now!"

Selene broke down, tears rolling down her cheeks, "I am no goddess right now."

Silence stilled between the trio.

Fighting echoed in the distance. Cats hissed, yelling danced, and trees shook from immense force.

"... Ullr said no lies." The werecat shook her head, looking away, and taking a brief moment to think.

Hopefully, Ullr didn't make a fool of them. That'd be the last thing Selene needed right now.

The Jaguar scoffed and laid down with crossed paws.

"Signey is involved." Selene muttered.

Inti snarled, "Of course she is."

The only thing they shared was equal hatred for Signey. The woman has been torturing any creature she can get her hands on for hundreds of years. Anyone on Signey's side were either rotting, brainwashed, or delusional.

"Signey has.." The werecat thought for a second, "... Been meddling with my werecats."

Her brows rose, "What...?" Selene couldn't believe the gall of her elder sister.

"Creating her own wicked version of rogues..." The goddess snarled and tensed her fists, "Tainting my people!"

Kusikuy's breathing became frantic as she shared Inti's anger, "Her cruelty knows no bounds. Truly a Goddess of tainted proportions."

She didn't know what to say.

Selene stared at Inti- thoughts swarming in her mind.

She was looking and talking to someone who understands her anger. Inti fully understands what it feels like to have your followers, your people, cursed to become monsters when they wholeheartedly believed their Goddess would guide them.

For hundreds of years Selene has watched her people turn into rogues. Mindless abominations, rotting from the inside, slaved by someone who shared her blood.

And she's never been able to do something about it.

"... It makes you feel like a failure." The werewolf frowned, "Like... Like you've tricked your followers and used them."

Inti's hardened expression broke into that of shock. Her brows curved up and eyes widened.

It suddenly felt like there was a greater reason to making amends with the Goddess of Werecats.

"Let's team up." Selene blurted, "A Goddess never truly dies until her power is stripped from her hands... Signey may be dead, but her soul clearly isn't."

Inti's lips slightly parted as she listened.

Selene stepped toward her, "Let's not team up with the purpose of curing my curse-" She rose a hand, "But with the purpose of defeating a shared enemy."

The pale woman offered a hand.

Inti rose a hand, ready to shake hers-

The podium they stood on fell apart. Cracks broke through it, tumbling away, and Selene found herself rolling to the ground with a yelp of pain.

Inti fell back- but her Jaguar halted her fall.

That familiar smell, like a pit of rotting corpses come to life, clouded their senses.

"I WON'T LET YOU BREAK THAT CURSE."