Chapter 8 | God of the Hunt

Thousands of years ago, there lived a man named Ullr

The forest was his home and his calling. When he needed to eat, he'd turn toward Earth's land to feed his aching stomach.

While he excelled at hunting with a spear, he noticed others begin to realize hunting was too much work for the reward. They did not share Ullr's passion.

The man watched as more and more people preferred to create villages and farm for their food instead of hunting. They became weaker, smaller, and sicker. His offense gave way for resolve. The man knew he needed to make things right.

One day, Ullr got to work.

Running after your prey was hard work and not rewardable enough. It'd be better if you could stay at a distance.

After days of working to the bone, risking the food on his table to find a solution.

Yet, one day, he watched the moon shine brighter than the sun. As he stared up at it in awe- the realization he needed hit him.

He now knew what to do.

Raising a curved wooden contraption with a string, he pulled back a stick with a sharpened end and let it go. The tiny spear shot across the clearing and into an elk's heart.

This object was what he called the bugan, which later translated into the bow.

While using it came to him naturally, others found it difficult to pick up. But Ullr had a passion and was more than willing to teach others how to hunt. He'd spend day and night teaching pupils until they'd move on to teach their own pupils.
He improved the bow more and more, creating better designs or applying new techniques. His passion hit the hearts of many, who began to see him as a leader- a god. It didn't take long for people to notice his behavior toward hunting and the food he reaped.

First, it was his knowledge of nature.

Ullr strictly avoided killing does unless necessary, especially if they had a fawn. Killing the females meant shrinking the population until there was nothing. He preferred to strip the carcass of the meat while in the field and allow scavengers to take the rest.

Second, it was his ability.

His sheer understanding of behavior made people cling to every word he spoke. He'd teach about the behaviors of prey animals and how to use that to your advantage. Making elk noises, clattering antlers to attract males, or studying migration patterns.

Third, it was his respect.

Before every meal, Ullr would take a moment to thank the animal for its meat. People saw this as humble and courteous, allowing the animal's soul to rest, knowing its death was not for sport. Ullr was strict about hunting only for survival, not for profit.

And lastly, his passion.

Ullr's sheer passion for hunting convinced people to join the hunt. When he planned hunting events or classes, the entire village- even people from other villages- would come just to see his skill. They knew he was a man of legend.

As time passed on, the man got older. Despite being in his forties, he was just as powerful. The man was extremely old for his time.

During a hunt, he'd follow a beautiful elk buck with antlers larger than his body. Just as he thought he'd corner it in a valley, a figure approached him from the forest's depths.

It was a man.

Ullr could only stand there in shock and awe as a human version of Gaia appeared before him. Gaia looked upon him with awe and adoration, commending him for his passion.

He was doing exactly what Gaia wanted- letting the food chain move forward.

With that, Gaia blessed the man with immortality. Ullr gained abilities and power beyond his understanding, able to shapeshift into whatever animal he desired. His age was at a standstill, and his body was as spry as a young man's. 
People didn't take long to note this and worship him as a god. Ullr disliked the concept, but the hope and passion of his people made him allow it. He'd be overwhelmed when he discovered the creation of a religion- following his practices and morals.

As thousands worshiped him during the years, he watched many births and deaths. Slowly, he had withdrawn himself from society.

While they spoke to him and worshipped him, he spent most of his time alone. The loneliness of immortality was beginning to get to him.

Yet, one day, Ullr went hunting. It was the only thing that eased him.

As he hunted, he happened upon a figure resting on the grass. Getting closer, he'd recognize this person as the most gorgeous woman he'd ever seen. Her hair was long and beautiful, its white colour shimmering under the moon's light.

Her pale body was plump and curvy, skin as soft as the grass under his bare feet. She had the grace of an elk and the beauty of the forest.

Peering up at him, her eyes held the moon itself in them. They were gentle and innocent, like a doe. 

Something in him told him to corrupt that innocence. Was this lust?

He came to know this woman as Selene. Her voice rang like a melody- calming his woes and cooing at his aching heart. When he held her in his arms, it felt like his skin was on fire. At first sight, he knew he wanted her to be his.
Ullr spent every waking moment attempting to court her. He would meet her at the same spot every night and give her gifts. Cooked food, clothing made from pelt, carved necklaces, and small decorations to remind her of him in her home.

While he easily won her affection, that did not stop him from wanting to please her at every turn. It kept his world turning.

But, he realized his immortality. Pain seeped into his heart, and she knowingly rested her hand on his chest.

That was when he learned she truly was a goddess. The Moon Goddess.

He met her wolf, Luna, whom he treated with love and worship, just like how he treated Selene. They were his girls.

Selene had lived just as long as he had. The night the moon shined brightest was when she ascended- giving out her gift of the werewolf. He wouldn't have found the inspiration and passion to create the bow if it weren't for her moon.

It gave him such joy to know that the woman he fell in love with would live with him throughout the eons. He was truly not alone.

When she discovered his people, she wished to gift them with something. Anything she wanted- he would allow. Ullr always admired her gift of the werewolf, which made the average person a true hunter. He's always admired the wolf.
Selene gave out her gift, but she noticed something was different. With Ullr's influence, his people turned into werebears instead of werewolves. The two gods were in awe of what they had created.

With ease, the werebears did not hesitate to welcome her into their religion.

And with that, the god of the hunt prevails.