Chapter 31 | Rage and it's Consequences

The walls crumpled like paper

A horrid creature with blackened limbs tore through the building. He was 11 feet tall, his blackened body having splotches of white on his belly, head, and neck. Deranged whitened eyes seared into his opponent with rage.

The creature was a biped version of an Akhlut.

Large talons tore through furniture, splinters flying everywhere. Tribesmen lept out of the way, breaking through windows to escape or cowering in corners.

When the Akhlut opened its bony jaws, a horrid scream from what sounded like an enraged whale made the walls shake. Glass cupboards and windows imploded.

Selene fell to the ground, unable to move as she'd shrink as small as possible in the middle of the hallway.

Vor and Aun shifted into werebears. They fought off the beast adamantly, defending themselves from their fear and outright deaths. The female twin didn't take her chances, instead running out the open front door.
Selene was covered in broken pieces of furniture, glass littering the ground around her figure. The tornado of fury whirled throughout the house, but the woman was impossibly safe from its carnage. How was that possible?

Two bears the size of trucks attacked the Akhlut simultaneously, but he fended them off with enraged ease.

The Akhlut was skinny, almost appearing small beside his tremendous height, but he had the strength of an army.

Above them, the home was beginning to creak and groan. Load-bearing walls were being knocked down- and the earthquake of violence definitely wasn't helping.

There was no way she was going to die like this.

Selene scampered to her feet, her body still aching from Vor and Aun's previous assault. The woman ran out of the open wall of the home, nearly falling over as she avoided flying furniture. 

As soon as she got outside, Selene noticed a clear pathway through the forest. Trees, bushes, and rocks were annihilated- cast aside as if they weighed nothing. That Akhlut traveled here through a furious pathway- and nothing could've stopped him.

Tribe members outside panicked. A few ran up, wanting to help, but were immediately intimidated by the raging beast.

It screamed and howled horribly, making her shake from fear.

More walls shattered as Vor and Aun were flung out. Selene was hit by Aun, tumbling down the hill. The bear flew further ahead. Her head hurt- ears ringing and vision distorted. Selene felt dizzy and sick.

The beast lept out, panting and hissing. As it screamed, the Elder ran out from the front door, flailing his arms.

"ULLR!" He'd holler, "Neyni Ullr! Huk Ut'otent'i!"
[It's Ullr! Our God!]

The Fjǫrðr shifted into his human form, gaze foggy. He stumbled to his feed, "Kenzrógrkwkún..." He muttered, crawling toward Selene and eyeing her up and down. "Ihden sátsort'r..."
[Sacriliege...] [Im sorry...]

He laid on his back, panting hard as he tried to regain his breath. He was bruised and slightly bloody, gazing at the sky tiredly.

"YMG' EPHAIPAY!" The Akhlut howled, fending off Vor, who had gotten back up and continued to fight. She hadn't heard or ignored Hodur's words. "AHH DR YMG' H' NGAHNAH!" It raked its claws through the bear's fur, making the Ek howl in pain.
The creature was screaming in a foreign language- one that Selene didn't understand. The words were brutal and horrific sounding, reminding her of satanic chanting. She covered her ears with a trembling sob.

Looking away from the scene, she noticed Baldur bolting toward them in the distance. He was horrified by what he saw, but that expression quickly changed to determination.

While running, his bones cracked and shifted rapidly. Within seconds, a bear larger than the rest was the one barreling toward them.

He had to be bigger than a Ford truck. Baldur was the Aðal for a reason.

The screams of tribe members echoed as the massive bear, and Akhlut slammed into each other. They bit, clawed, and tore at each other feverishly. Hodur continued to panic on the sidelines.

Baldur flew in with his teeth, but the Akhlut grabbed a barrel and smashed it on his head. The bear stumbled back.

No matter how big the bears were, Selene wasn't stupid enough not to see the fact they were losing.

Still feeling dizzy and terrified, the woman began crawling toward the fighting bears. Vor had joined in, battling alongside her leader with utmost determination. Aun panted weakly, turning to watch Selene crawl.

"Ega..." He breathed, "H-Hud... k'á yéhedínłe." He whispered, trying to convince Selene to stop.
[No...] - [Y-You... will die.]

His worry was appreciated, but she wanted this battle to end. It seems he's come to his senses and realized she truly wasn't the villain they thought she was.

Either she will be a hero, or she'll be squished to death.

The three battled, ripping into each other. No matter how much they hurt the Akhlut- it only seemed to fuel its rage.

She was still crawling- her body aching and whimpering at every movement. Selene was merely feet away from their wrestling, just enough for her to lock eyes with the empty sockets of the Akhlut.

"YA NNN'BTHNK..." Came howling out of the hollow depths of his skull.

Baldur and Vor were carelessly cast aside.

Her heart thundered, eyes widening as the 11-foot Akhlut stampeded toward her. It picked her up shockingly gently.

She didn't have the energy to squirm or scream. Instead, she let the creature hold her like a burping baby. It sped into the woods, bears chasing and screaming- but it sped up impossibly fast. The cold winter air wisped past her chillingly.
It left the trees be, clambering past and around them. The Akhlut lept over rocks, bushes, boulders, and ditches alike. There was nothing it couldn't get past. The further they got, the quieter the noises from the tribe got.

The creature's skin was cold and slick- the texture feeling like softwood. No warmth radiated from its skinny form, black claws feeling just as cold as icicles.

Selene felt haunted by its fierce eyes. The void-like colour still held the ferocity of a sharp canine eye.

She could only hope this wouldn't end with her being eaten alive.

--(CHAPTER WAS UPDATED TO REMOVE WENDIGO CHARACTERISTICS AND MENTIONS. I WAS TOLD THAT IT'S DISRESPECTFUL TO USE, SEEING AS IT'S FROM NATIVE AMERICAN CULTURE. INSTEAD, I HAVE USED AN AKHLUT-LIKE ANIMAL FROM MY OWN CULTURE.)--

)--