CHAPTER 3

The evening sun's golden rays illuminated the training grounds of the Hastinapur palace. Maharaj Pratipa was sitting at the pavilion, intently watching the duel of archery between his young sons, Shantanu and Bahlik.

Shantanu's movements were fluid and graceful, an embodiment of the finesse he had honed with diligent practice. His every maneuver exuded confidence, as if he was dancing with the very fabric of the wind.

Bahlik, on the other hand, displayed relentless strength and fire in his eyes. His shots were powerful, fueled by sheer determination to prove his prowess.

Their arrows collided repeatedly, sparks igniting in the wake of their clash. The intensity of their duel intensified as they exchanged daring moves, each trying to seize the upper hand.

The duel progressed, as the brothers exchanged arrows, their blades flashing with brilliance. Anyone who witnessed the duel were in awe.

And after a few moments, with a swift and calculated shot, Shantanu disarmed Bahlik by breaking his bow with such an impact that the latter fell backwards, becoming momentarily defenseless.

With a victorious gleam in his eyes, the elder brother, lowered his bow and went towards his sibling, extending his hand to the younger brother, offering him a gesture of respect and admiration.

Bahlik, though momentarily taken aback by his defeat, accepted the outstretched hand, putting his ego aside. The expression on his face shifted from disappointment to genuine pride for his brother's skill and accomplishment.

"Badhai ho Bhrata. Aap punah vijay huye." Bahlik offered his heartfelt congratulations.

"Bal ka pradarshan toh tumne bhi uttam roop se kiya, anuj." Shantanu said, proud of the skills of his younger brother.

A smile of immense satisfaction playing upon the lips of Maharaj Pratipa, as he stood up from his seat and went towards his sons. Both of them bowed to their father, who kept his hand over their shoulders.

"Sunanda ke putro, Tum dono ne siddh kar diya hai ki Narottamo ka janm, Bharatkul mei hi hota hai." Pratipa said, "Mera jyesht putra Devapi baal-pan mei hi tapasya karne chala gaya. Usne tapas se kul ki kirti badhayi, aur tum dono shaurya aur veerta se badha rahe ho."

Both the brothers smiled, they looked at each other and then back at their father.

"Tum dono hi Raja banne ke yogya ho.
Parantu Hastinapur ka Raja kaun banega, iska nirnaye ab woh talwar hi karegi." Pratipa said.

A serious expression appeared on the face of the brothers, who nodded showing their acceptance of the challenge.

---------

Pratipa brought his sons to palace courtyard, the rays of the setting sun were engulfing the space with a mellow glow. Their eyes were fixed over a statue of a warrior princess, who looked as regal as a goddess, mounted on a majestic horse, holding a bow in hand.

 Their eyes were fixed over a statue of a warrior princess, who looked as regal as a goddess, mounted on a majestic horse, holding a bow in hand

The grand statue gazed upon the kingdom with unwavering strength. Crafted with exceptional artistry, the statue represented a legendary figure who has long been worshipped by the kingdom.

Pratipa joined his hands in reverence and bowed down to the statue, and so did Shantanu and Bahlik.

"Rameshwari kalyaan kare." The old king said, humbly offering respects to her statue.

Pratipa then gazed down at an elevated stage, beneath the statue. An ancient sword that rested upon that pedestal. Covered in vermilion powder, the sword emanated an aura of unyielding power.

"Jab Rajkumari Rameshwari ne uss samaye ke Maharaj ka annt kar, Yuvraj ko singhasan par sthaapit kiya tha, tab Yuvraj ne unse unki ek nishaani maangi thi. Jisse aane wali pidhi use Dharm aur Shaurya ke roop mei pooj sake. Tab bhagwaan Shri Ram Chandra ki putri ne kripa kar apni ek talwar Kurujangal ko saup di thi. Tab se humara kul iss talwaar ki pooja karta hai." Pratipa said.

The old king then looked back at his sons and said, "Dharmgyaaniyo mei sarvashresht vyakti hi iss talwar ko utha sakta hai. Aur jo vyakti iss talwar ko utha leta hai, woh sampurn prithvi par raaj karta hai."

He then gestured them to try and pick it up. Bahlik decided to try first, he walked up towards the vermilion covered sword. With determination in his eyes, he grasped the sword's hilt and exerted all his strength and will.

However, despite his relentless efforts, the sword remains unmoved, anchored to the pedestal. Bahlik tries once more but was unable to pick the mighty sword up.

When he gives up, Shantanu approaches the ancient sword with utmost reverence. With each step, the anticipation of Pratipa and the significance of his task intensifies.

Shantanu clasps the sword with both his hands and with every ounce of his being, he musters the strength to lift it. But he too struggles against the immense gravity of the moment, his muscles strain, and perspiration beads upon his forehead.

But inch by inch, he is able to raise the majestic sword.

A groan escapes his lips, as he for a brief moment, holds the sword aloft, just inches from the pedestal

A groan escapes his lips, as he for a brief moment, holds the sword aloft, just inches from the pedestal. Pratipa and Bahlik look at him with astonishment, realizing the legitimacy of his claim to the throne.

Yet, before Shantanu could savor his victory, the sword slips from his grasp, descending with a resounding thud. His chest heavens in pain, as he breathes heavily, his hands that we're now stained with the red vermilion, trembled terribly, as he felt his entire arm would fall off.

Despite the great sword's return to the pedestal, it is clear to them that Shantanu's destiny as the future king has been sealed.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

This book is going to have very little SriSri content, it's more of a factual book.... Isko padhne ke baad many things in Mahabharat will become clear to you all, since it is the base of the Jaygatha.

But it is going to have plenty of references of Rameshwari 🌝✨