CHAPTER 36

The messenger read out loud, "Hastinapur ki oor se Gandhar ko naman. Humare rajyo ke bich sadbhavna aur ekta ke pradarshan mei, hum ek aisa prastav prastut karte hai jo humare sambandh ko aur shaktishaali kardega. Mahamahim Bhishm ki iccha hai, ki sahastra haathiyo ke samaan balshaali, Jyesht Kuru-kumar Dhritrashtra ka vivah aapki Tapasvini putri, Rajkumari Gandhari ke saath ho."

The court of Gandhar fell into hushed whispers, as an air of uncertainty settled upon the room. The hall, once filled with lively chatter and vibrant energy, now stood in solemn reverence. The gravity of the decision at hand hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the grand hall.

Perched upon his majestic throne, King Subal found himself plagued by hesitation, his mind clouded with doubt. He was acutely aware of Dhritrashtra's blindness, which left him hesitant about the prospect of marrying off his beloved daughter to the sightless king.

Yet, the proposal had come from none other than Hastinapur, a prestigious honor that could not be easily dismissed. What greater privilege could there be than becoming a daughter-in-law to the illustrious Kurus ?

"Maharaj," A minister stood up, "Kuruvansh se aya prastaav hume thukrana nahi chahiye."

Another minister said, "Yeh toh humara saubhagya hai ki Kuruo ne apni Jyesht kul-vadhu ke roop mei Rajkumari Gandhari ko chuna hai."

"Iss samaye Bharatvarsh mei Hastinapur se shaktishaali Rajya koi nahi. Yaha tak ki Chakravarti Bharat, jinke naam se Bharatvarsh ka naam hai, woh bhi iss hi kul ke purvaj hai. Bharato ke dwara hume ek swarnim prastaav mila hai !" Some other minister said.

Now that he began contemplating the famous lineage and the noble conduct and intelligence of the Kurus, Subal finally made his mind.

The king of Gandhar said, "Hume yeh vivah prastaav swikarya hai."

-------

"Aap aisa kaise kar sakte hai Pitashree !?" The crown prince of Gandhar, Shakuni asked in a disappointed tone.

"Hastinapur sarvottam Rajya hai. Aur Dhritrashtra Jyesht putra hai." Subal said.

"Woh Janmaandh hai !" Shakuni exclaimed.

"Sahastra haathiyo ka Bal hai unme." Subal said.

"Parantu woh janmaandh hai !" Shakuni repeated.

His mother went up to him, and kept a comforting hand over his shoulders, but it wasn't soothing to him.

"Soubal, tumhare Pita ne mantriyo saath yeh nirnaye liye hai. Sabhi ka hit isi mei hai." She said.

"Kaisa hit Mata ? Kya sukh milega Gandhari ko Dhritrashtra ke saath ? Ek janm se andha vyakti, kya sukh dega use ? Arrey woh toh Raja bhi nahi hai !" Shakuni said.

Subal said, "Humne suna hai ki Maharaj Pandu apne Jyesht Bhrata ka bada aadar karte hai."

Shakuni groaned in frustration, "Raja sammaan toh ek daridra brahman ka bhi karta hai..... PARANTU ISSE WOH DARIDRA BRAHMAN MAHARAJ NAHI HO JATA !" He exclaimed.

"Pitashree ko kuch mat boliye, Bhrata." A voice said.

Their eyes darted towards the door, and behold, there stood Gandhari, the illustrious princess whose unwavering devotion to Dharma was renowned throughout the land.

"Mata Pita ka nirnaye mujhe swikarya hai." She said as she entered the room.

"Parantu behen, Dhritrashtra janmandh hai. Woh tumhe sukh kaise pradaan karega ? Woh tumhari icchaye kaise purn karega ?" Shakuni asked.

Gandhari went towards a sandook, and gently unlatched it. Her innocent eyes looked around its contents. And there it was, a piece of cloth. With a sense of determination, she delicately retrieved it from the box and turned towards her family.

Taking a deep breath she said, "Jo sukh mere pati ko praapt nahi ho sakte, unn sukho ki kaamna mujhe nahi."

And then the very moment, she delicately raised the cloth to her dazzling eyes, tightly securing it in place. The act of blindfolding herself was a solemn declaration, that she would never experience more than what her husband could.

Shakuni's eyes narrowed as he witnessed Gandhari, blindfolding herself with the pristine cloth. A surge of anger coursed through Shakuni's veins, his normally composed demeanor cracking like a fault line. He, who was usually adept at concealing his true sentiments, struggled to contain the storm of resentment within him.

The room seemed to close in on Shakuni as he grappled with the conflicting emotions within him. Gandhari's sacrifice, though born out of what she considered her duty, felt like an injustice to him.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

You know Shakuni is not as evil as he is portrayed in TV serials.... I mean he is definitely a villain but he is not sadistic... Like his intention was not to end Kuruvansh because of whom Gandhari blindfolded herself....

Reading Mahabharat, I felt like it was more of a 'My sister sacrificed her vision, so it's her children who deserve the throne of Hastinapur' kind of thing.

Cause if Shakuni really wanted to end Kuruvansh, he wouldn't have adviced Duryodhan to make peace with the Pandavas. It was Karn who didn't let him make peace.

ALSO, another myth.... SHAKUNI MAMA LANGDATE NAHI THE 🤣🤣
Kahi nahi likha hai ki he limped or something 🤣🤣

And to pop another bubble.... Shakuni mama was a warrior.... He's also from Gandhar.... If you have seen how muscular and tall Pathani men usually are... There is a high chance of Shakuni being tall, strong and well-built-
Also he's the incarnation of Dwapar, who was a Gandharv.... He could be good looking as well.....

Yeah I know.... It's hard to believe a tall, muscular and handsome Shakuni mama.... But it's fine that serials don't show him that way..... Who knows then you'd have people simping for him-💀