CHAPTER 53

Devaki tossed and turned in her opulent bed. Her once serene face was now contorted in pain as she struggled through the throes of childbirth. The midwives and attendants rushed around her, trying to ease her suffering, but her cries echoed through the palace.

Outside the room, Vasudev sat with a heavy heart, his head in his hands. The sound of Devaki's anguished screams filled the air, and his heart clenched with each one.

Rohini, who was sitting beside him, held his hand tightly, trying to ease the worry and fear that etched deep lines on his face.

"Devaki ke aatmabal par vishwas rakhe, Aryaputra." She assured, her soothing voice a balm to his troubled mind.

But Vasudev couldn't shake off the overwhelming sense of dread that hung in the air. He knew the promise he had made to Kamsa, which he needed to fulfil. His heart ached with the weight of the impending tragedy, and he prayed for a miracle to save them all.

As Devaki's cries grew louder, Vasudev clung to Rohini's hand. And then suddenly, the entire place fell into silence. Finally, after what felt like an eternity, the cries of a newborn baby pierced through the air.

After a few moments, the midwife came out, a small smile on her face and said, "Badhai ho Rajan, putra huya hai. Aap andar jaa sakte hai."

Vasudev and Rohini rushed inside the room, there they saw Devaki, her face flushed and glistening with sweat, cradling a tiny, squirming infant in her arms.

Devaki looked at them both and announced with a smile, "Kirtimaan."

Vasudev went towards her, and held his son in his arms. As he looked at the child, a feeling of overwhelming love and protectiveness washed over him. But then, the realization hit him like a thunderbolt - he had to give this child to Kamsa.

Vasudev's heart sank as he struggled to come to terms with the impossible choice he was faced with. But he was a man true to his words and knew he had to fulfil his promise. Seeing the tension etched on his face, even Devaki realised what was about to happen.

She weakly held the arm of Vasudev, tears were quick to blur her vision, "Arya yeh meri pehli santaan hai..."

Rohini sat beside Devaki, and kept a hand on her shoulder. She looked at her husband and said, "Sankat toh aathvi santaan se hai na, Arya. Fir iss navjaat shishu ko kyu dena ?"

Vasudev shook his head, "Maine sabhi putro ko saupne ka vachan diya tha, Rohini."

He then casted a apologetic glance at Devaki, "Mujhe kshama karna."

With that, Vasudev left the room holding his child, his heart heavy with the weight of his promise. Devaki broke down into tears, in the embrace of Rohini, who caressed her head.

Vasudev held his newborn son tightly in his arms as he made his way through the dimly lit corridors of the palace. His heart pounded with dread as he approached the chamber of Kamsa.

"Aur Magadh-" Kamsa stopped as his sensed a presence. He and his confidants looked at Vasudev walked in with unreadable expression.

Raising his son, he said, "Yeh meri aur Devaki ki pratham santaan hai. Kirtimaan. Vachan anusaar mai ise tumhare paas le aya hu."

Seeing that Vasudev remained steadfast at the moment of tussle between life and death of his son, Kamsa was thoroughly impressed. Indeed for ones who have won over their senses, there is nothing they can't sacrifice.

Kamsa chuckled, "Vasudev ji, aap iss nannhe se sukumar balak ko le jayiye. Mujhe isse koi bhaye nahi. Meri shatruta Devaki ke aathve santaan se hai."

Vasudev found it difficult to believe, for he knew the fickle and wicked mind of Kamsa, he simply said "Thik hai." And went away.

The moment he was out of sight, Kamsa looked back at his confidants going back to the conversation they were having, "Ha toh, Magadh ki sena yaha pahuch gayi ?"

One of them said, "Ji Yuvraj. Magadh ki sena gupt roop se Mahal mei pravesh kar chuki hai "

"Uttam. Ab unhe Mathura ke sainiko ka vesh lene ko kehdo." Kamsa smirked sinisterly.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Kamsa mama became Shakuni Mama
Khud ke rajya ke virudh shadiyantra kar rahe 🌝