You lied to me (pt2)

Wiping her brow Mrs Lovett was unaware of the flour she left behind on her brow as she turned her head upon hearing her shop door sound. Despite everything that had happened over the course of the last few weeks she still had to keep her shop open. Unaware of whether Sweeney was to come back or not, she still had a responsibility to put food on the table if not for her but her son.

As soon as she realised who it was at the door she rushed over and hugged her friend tightly. "Oh Greta thank god" she began to sob needing a hug so badly, she didn't want to let go. It was almost a month now and although she did her best to bottle her feeling at this moment she needed her friend. She had stayed strong for George's sake despite the desperate need to break down and cry.

Greta held her and rubbed her back. She was aware that something had happened between her and Mr Todd. So much so Sweeney had come to their home asking if he could stay awhile to clear his head. Of course Greta had been shocked by Sweeneys arrival and immediately went to ask him what happened however it was her husband James who reminded her not to intervene between a lovers tiff. She knew he was right and so the pair of them just remained supportive unknowing of what really had gone down between the pair.

"My darling get it all out" Greta comforted her friend as she cried into her arms helplessly. Greta had never seen Nellie like this, it was pitiful to hear. She tried her best to just sooth her, rubbing her hand up and down her back as the poor woman sobbed in her arms.

Breaking away a little Nellie wiped her tears with shaky hands and looked towards her friend who remained holding her arms in support. "He left me, It's been weeks and nothin" she sobbed to which Greta pulled Nellie back into her arms to comfort her.

"I know dear" she whispered to the bakers surprise.

"Sorry?" Nellie pulled back again in confusion.

Greta could see her friend was surprised and for that was cautious of her next words hoping not to upset her further. "He is stayin' with us dear, he came by the night he left ere lookin' worse for wear and needed a place to stay"

Mrs Lovett didn't know how to respond, despite feeling hurt by him her heart broke that little more knowing he was suffering too. But then she felt upset how Greta hadn't come to see her sooner. They were friends weren't they? Why had it taken till now?

"I know what ya thinkin love and I wanted to come see ya....it's just been hard, James told me not to get in between nothin, so I kept me distance"

"I miss him" Nellie whispered eyes tearing over as she looked at her friend. "I hurt e'm and I don't think'e will ever come back ...he said he'd come by to see George and he still ain't seen e'm" Greta could see the distress in the bakers eyes and could see just how much this was affecting her.

"An with the baby on the way....I know I can't do this on me own Greta, t'was hard enough when George was born....now another? I just don't know what to do..." the way Nellie brought her hands shakily to her stomach had Greta tearing up too.

"Now, I'm sure..."

The bell chimed above the door making the two women look up to see who it was.

Nellies eyes widened slightly as it was non other then Sweeney Todd walking into her parlour. Greta felt the atmosphere weigh in over the room as the door closed behind him the bell chiming loudly across the shop as the awkwardness rose in the room. Clearing her throat to speak Greta looked back toward the emotional baker "I'll leave you two it" she then squeezed Nellies hand supportively and left the shop leaving just the bell to sound again above.

Remaining strong Nellie wiped her tears and bucked up the courage to speak, first throwing her hands to her hips and pouting like an annoyed wife. "Well?" She snapped coldly.