Sweeney Todd pt6

The masquerade party was slowly coming to its end. It had been such a fun evening for everyone that was there. Mrs Lovett had been enjoying the company of 'Robert' exchanging stories and dancing close on the dance floor. She had never felt like this before, she didn't want this evening to end. He had been a wonderful listener and such a smooth talker too. They had been laughing all night, something Nellie had never experienced with a man before. It felt so nice, he made her feel all fuzzy inside.

The music was slow and soft leaving a few couples left slow dancing with each other. Nellie had been dancing with Sweeney Todd all night long, only she didn't even realise it was him. There had been moments however that he would say something or do something that seemed rather familiar to her. But she just shook it off, Nellie realised her mind was somewhat caught up with the memories of Sweeney that she needed to let go...

They just swayed slowly to the soft music looking deeply into one another eyes. Maybe it was the few drinks of red wine that made him feel so warm inside or it was the fact he was looking at Mrs Lovett as if he was seeing her for the first time. Whatever it was it felt new and exciting, he hadn't felt this way in so long.

Holding her close with one hand in hers and his free arm wrapped around her waist. Sweeney hadn't been able to keep his eyes off her all evening.

"You are so beautiful" the words slipped from his lips with ease. He had always felt that way about her but never admitted it to her face and from the shy smile she then gave him proved that point all to well.

Nellie's eyes scanned his own behind the mask he wore. She had to admit whoever he was certainly made her heart flutter. She had butterflies when she was near him, it felt so nice to feel that way again. Just being in this gentleman's arms had made this whole night worth all the planning. For the first time in months she felt happy. Genuinely happy...

"You're the only man that as ever said that to me" the truth behind her words had him aching inside knowing all he ever did was call her names and make her feel worthless. Why had it taken him so long to realise she was worth so much more? why was it that he was only really noticing her now? Mrs Lovett was beautiful, inside and out.

"What about that Sweeney Todd you were telling me about earlier?....if you were in a relationship he must have called you beautiful..." Nellie shook her head at this and sighed sadly. He didn't know why he asked her that but a part of him wanted to know what she thought about him. What Mrs Lovett had been feeling this whole time yet he was too oblivious to realise.

"It weren't a relationship dear, the man used me...an the only thing he ever called me was a whore....he didn't know me, didn't bother ever getting to know me...just abused me until I finally had the guts to throw the bastard out" she spoke with such pain that Sweeney found himself running his hand slowly up and down her back keeping their bodies close as they swayed together.

What possessed him to actually believe she was a common whore he didn't know. But then like Johanna said to him awhile ago, he probably made himself believe that so he could put himself off ever falling for her. Which of course was beginning to happen and that's why he turned vicious to cover up his true feelings. God he hated himself right now...

"Did you love him?" Sweeney knew he was asking to many questions but he had wondered if Mrs Lovett had ever actually loved him. He needed to know.

Looking at her face as her eyes dropped sadly to his chest he felt himself gulp down the painful lump at the back of his throat. She didn't need to answer that. It was clear she had and instead he just abused that love. At this rate he would have to pretend to be 'Robert' forever. Sweeney didn't even deserve her love and he knew that.