Sweeney Todd pt9

"How are you doing?"

The question was simple yet the answer so hard to put into words. Sitting in the doctors waiting room in this small Victorian home Mrs Lovett grabbed James' hand and squeezed it as she began to sob. James had been the one to pull her away from
Sweeney, he had been asked by Johanna to find Mrs Lovett and bring her home in fear she would be in trouble with those men she had been drinking with.

He was lucky enough to have been at the bar when Sweeney and Mrs Lovett left together and had watched them argue from afar before the incident. James stayed well hidden but as soon as he saw Sweeney being shot he raced into the bar to find help. A few lads in the local bar were able to help carry Sweeney's body to the nearest doctor.

For Mrs Lovett it had looked as if they were harming him when in reality they were helping to save his life. She had been grateful to James for being quick to help and was thankful he was there just in time. However they were still waiting to hear from the doctor if Sweeney was to live or die and for that Nellie was struggling with her emotions.

She didn't want him dead. She couldn't imagine that ever being the case, her stomach turned at the thought. She realised here and now that no matter what they had been through no matter what pain and anger she still felt towards him, she couldn't see him die. That thought ripped at her heart and so feeling the way she did she knew deep insides she cared for him still. No matter how much she might deny it Nellie Lovett would be heartbroken if he died here today.

"I got one of the local workhouse lads to run a letter to Johanna, I've told her to come here and meet us..." he explained having written the letter as soon as he was able to locate paper and a quill.

Gulping down the heavy lump in the back of her throat Nellie dapped her teary eyes with an old handkerchief she kept in the pocket of her dress. "For her sake...I hope he's alive..." she whispered brokenly.

James couldn't help but frown a little at her choice of words. "And yours.." he said squeezing her hand knowing she would be devastated if the news was indeed what they both feared.

Looking at James Mrs Lovett couldn't agree or deny. All she knew was if that doctor didn't give them some news soon she would personally bang on the door and find out for herself. She had always been a patient woman, in fact she encouraged Sweeney at one point to wait. But the longer they were sat here losing their minds with no word on how he was doing she was beginning to take back ever telling someone to wait.

The front door swung open with a bang leaving the bell above to chime loudly as Johanna rushed in tears streaming down her face. As she spotted James and Mrs Lovett Johanna ran into James' arms as he stood to meet her. "Oh god is he alright?" she cried into his shoulder tugging at his coat as if desperate for answers.

"We don't know" James whispered pulling her back and stoking her hair out of her face as she cried.

Nellie looked at the pair of them sadly her eyes still cloudy with tears. Just then the doctor walked out which had Nellie jumping to her feet.

"Is he alive?!" She asked frantically her eyes wide in fear. She was a little taken back by how fast she had jumped to her feet, but then her and James had been waiting ages to see the doctor.

The old man coughed into his hand and cleared his throat as he looked at what he assumed was his patients family. "He's alive"

The relief washed over them all and finally they felt they could breathe again.

Johanna broke from James' arms and rushed towards the doctor. "Can I see him please?"

The old man didn't look to sure and for that she was worried she would have to stay away for a while. She had to see her father, had to see him now.