Sweeney Todd pt11

Running around the shop serving customers and juggling trays of pies in her hands Mrs Lovett was officially back to work. The Christmas period was over now and the new year had begun which meant her business was booming. Who would have thought that fruit pies would be even more popular then meat ones.

Today was like any other, except Mrs Lovett had never felt so rushed off her feet. Johanna had been such a great help, Nellie really didn't understand how she had ever coped without Johanna. She was a treasure to have working along side her and helped her a great deal.

Customers filled every booth in Mrs Lovett's pie shop and even outstretched into the outside courtyard. It was only 4:00 in the afternoon and they were still busy. Normally by this time Nellie would be washing the dishes and cleaning up after everyone.

Rushing to fetch some more gin Mrs Lovett felt herself becoming flustered when they seemed to be out. That's all she needed to be out of supplies!

"Everything alright?" Sweeney's voice appeared behind her which had her jolting in surprise.

Turning round she gulped and wiped her sweaty brow with the back of her hand "I'm all out of gin"

"Where's our top ups?!" An angry customer yelled across the shop at her clearly becoming inpatient.

Sweeney narrowed his eyes on the man and turned to see just how tired she was looking and deafened for that matter. She had been on her feet all day...

"Oi! Ya silly whore" The man shouted again making a few people snigger and mumble behind their napkins. Sweeney felt his blood boil hearing how disrespectful they were all being to Mrs Lovett. As he looked back towards her he noticed the sadness in her eyes but also the anger too.

"Let me..." he began only for her to storm past him and over to the table of men being so rude to her. Sweeney saw how her hands flew to her hips and knew she was going to kick off. He made his way over subtly just to be there in case things got out of hand.

"Now ya listen' to me ya little shit! Are ya married?" Her question had even Sweeney frowning from behind. He hadn't expected that to come out.

"Yes, why does that concern you?" her customer snarled at her smirking towards his friends on the table. They were all finding this so amusing that it had Nellie glaring at them all. What scum men were...

"Ya best start treatin' me better then love...would be awful if I was to write to her an' tell her bout ya dirty needs in me shop....that ya come ere often to see me...if ya get me drift..." her threatening tone had Sweeney smirking proudly behind her. She really was a strong woman that could look after herself, that he admired.

"Like she would believe you" Mrs Lovett had the man sweating now and even his friends seemed to cower.

"Oh believe me she would....ya said it ya self I'm a 'whore'....but I'm also a woman which means I know Ow' she would react better then you..."

The man who had appeared so confident and strong licked his dry lips awkwardly and gulped. Clearly she had hit a nerve. She wouldn't be surprised if he had been caught before by his wife just by the way he shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"Now am I hearin' an apology?" She pushed hiding her smirk the best she could knowing she had won this argument.

The customer cleared his throat and mumbled some form of apology to which she smirked and walked away. Sweeney was also smirking at her, she was surprised when he pulled her arm gently to stop her from walking completely away. She stopped in her tracks and met his proud gaze before his hand left her arm.

"That was impressive..." his voice was deep and gravely yet there was softness to it too.

"I've ad a lot of practise....not the first time some ole blighter tried to make me look like a fool in front of a crowd....ya best believe I always turn it around though, there's somethin' very satisfying about seeing a grown man crumble...." she explained with a naughty glint in her eyes as she peered over at the group of men with their heads down.