Sweeney Todd pt10

"Merry Christmas!" Mrs Lovett covered her hand over her mouth her eyes wide in surprise. Standing before her was James and Johanna holding a large Christmas fruit cake they had clearly baked for her as a Christmas present.

Walking into the pie shop Nellie grinned at them both as she approached them to look at the cake. "An' when did ya find the time to bake this?" She asked surprised they had managed to bake it without her suspecting anything. It really was such a lovely cake with white frosting on top and the words Noel piped delicately in the middle. 

Johanna placed down the cake on the counter and giggled at her question. "It was hard" she admitted before walking back round to them and placing her hand in the crook of James' arm.

"Every time you popped out we had been planning and baking together, most of the time though James stood at the end of the street keeping a watch out for you....that way by the time he ran back to tell me you were on your way back I had time to hide the evidence"

Shaking her head with a smile Nellie couldn't believe how sweet and clever that was. She gave them both a hug and thanked them for there lovely surprise. She realised it must have cost them quite a bit so she was grateful for their generosity.

"I'm not the only one that has a surprise for you..." Johanna said with a small smirk playing about her lips as she noticed her father lurking in the doorway with something hidden behind his back.

Seeing Johanna looking behind her Mrs Lovett turned to see Sweeney standing there with a boyish grin about his face. He was dressed and ready for the day his arm in a new bandage.

"Merry Christmas everyone" Sweeney's said softly before walking over to them all. Nellie looked down shyly as he smiled towards her. Was he intending to spend the day with them? If so she didn't quite know how she felt about that. Of course being Christmas Mrs Lovett didn't like anyone having to be alone, but then it wasn't as if there wasn't an uncomfortable atmosphere still....

"Merry Christmas" both Johanna and James said in unison while Nellie began to frown at his odd behaviour. He was hiding something behind his back and she wanted to know just what had gotten into him.

Looking towards her again he smiled and removed his hands from around his back presenting to Nellie a beautiful Necklace. "For you..."

The necklace was dazzling. A beautiful gold chain with a red stone at the bottom. Never had she seen anything quite like it, it looked expensive and for that she still wore a frown. "Sweeney you ave' no money, Ow' did ya ever afford this?" she sounded more upset then happy and for that he could help but chuckle a little at her before walking round and placing it carefully around her neck.

"That bastard only took the money that was on me, I have savings hidden at the house I had been living in. Johanna went round yesterday and picked up my things....I asked her to find you something she thought you might like..." he explained clasping the necklace around her neck smiling over at his daughter who seemed secretly please Nellie looked so taken back.

The light brush of his fingers against her skin had her tingling all over. Whether it was a good feeling or not she couldn't tell. Turning round to him Nellie placed her hand on the necklace and gulped slightly. He was now showering her in gifts....

"Thank you, i-it's beautiful..." she said half heartedly. Sweeney senses there was awkwardness to her tone and therefore glanced at Johanna as if telling her to give them some privacy just for a moment. Johanna nodded and left the room with James.

Now alone Sweeney took Nellies hand in his and frowned at her as she seemed upset. "Have I done something wrong?" He asked softly just as she looked up at him and pulled her hand away gently from his grasp.