Sweeney Todd pt7

Walking beside his very quite daughter in Hyde Park Sweeney could tell something was bothering her. He gathered by her letter she sent him over a week ago that she was concerned about Mrs Lovett. For that he was just waiting for her to say what she had to say, yet she was silent strolling with him on this chilly morning. It was a week until Christmas so no wonder it was cold. But not as icy as the silence that brewed between them. Was she ever going to tell him what was wrong?

"Has something happened?" Sweeney ask breaking the silence.

Johanna didn't know quite where to begin. Nothing had happened as such and nothing was bad at the moment. Yet she didn't like this lie that was hanging over her head.

"You have to tell Mrs Lovett the truth..." she said stopping in her tracks and looking into her fathers eyes. "Please" there was no point in beating around the bush, he just had to tell Mrs Lovett. Seeing Nellie this happy was so lovely yet the ugly lie behind her happiness was eating away at Johanna. It had to come to an end.

Sweeney could see all this was having an effect on Johanna. He didn't mean for this to upset his daughter and for that he pounded on what to respond. Truthfully he was afraid if he told Nellie he would lose her forever. The letters they shared with one another had been so nice, his feelings for the baker had deepened these last few weeks and that's without even seeing her. The thought of losing what little connection he had with Nellie had him worried...

"Is she unhappy?..."

Johanna frowned at this and shook her head. Why would she be unhappy? She was in dream land and that's what the problem was. "No, but she's becoming frustrated, she wants to meet up with 'Robert' and is going crazy with the idea he's not all that interested because he keeps putting her off..."

Sweeney had to admit it was nice to hear that she wanted to see him. Even if he was pretending to be someone else...

"I want to see her Johanna but when she finds out it's me I know she will go mad...." he said not really knowing what to do.

"So you intend to keep writing to her and putting off seeing her for the rest of your life?" Johanna was becoming irritated. How long did he intend to drag this out? This wasn't fair to any of them.

"You're right...." he whispered bowing his head with a sigh "you're right" he repeated sadly whilst running a hand through his hair thinking about how to go about doing this.

"I'll write and tell her to meet me here"

Johanna could see her father looked defeated. She knew he didn't want to have to do this but then the truth would have to come out eventually. It wasn't fair to either of them to drag this whole charade out further. It would be hard but at least this lie would be put to bed for good.

"Maybe she won't be so mad?" Johanna tired to give him some comfort but they both knew Mrs Lovett wouldn't take well to this. There was no denying the fact Nellie could end up extremely hurt.

"All I know now is that I love her....and I don't want to lose her" he said clearing his throat looking into his daughter eyes.

Giving him the warmest of smiles Johanna reached for his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. "Tell her that" she whispered "she needs to know that"

———————-

Grinning at her reflection in the mirror Nellie twirled around excitedly in her new dress she had brought the other week. It was a dark blue satin material all over, very expensive from what she would usually wear but very flattering to her body shape. It was low cut around the neck line much like her others and was laced with blue beads all around the neckline and hem. It was stunning.