Sweeney Todd pt5

The days went by slowly. It had been exactly 18 days since Sweeney had left and it was really taking it toll on Johanna. His letters were vague asking more about how she was rather then explaining to her how he was doing. Every time she would write back she asked how he was but it was always the same. Sweeney would always tell her that he was fine and that she didn't have to worry. Yet she did. Very much...

He wrote to Mrs Lovett but she never opened his letters nor did she want to. Johanna had watched on countless occasions Mrs Lovett throwing his letters in the bin. And every time she did Johanna reached in and kept them. Of course she didn't read them as they were private but even so she didn't want them to be lost forever.

Sweeney had spent a few rough nights on the streets without little food or drink before an old couple were kind enough to take him in. The time away had been testing yet Sweeney realised how much he needed it. He was able to think properly and come to terms with what he needed to do to sort his life out. Most of all, even though he never thought he would ever have to admit it he did miss Mrs Lovett. Being away from Johanna and Nellie was a huge shock to the system it made him see how much he did in fact need them in his life. He had been an idiot not to have realised that sooner. He doubt Nellie would ever forgive him and for that he didn't blame her.

He had been vile. He had always been a man of respect yet he had shown Mrs Lovett none of that. He had been a man at one point, a gentleman and that all changed as soon as he became Sweeney Todd. Well now he knew that needed to change, he was working hard on bettering himself and trying to reconnected with the man he once used to be. Sweeney Todd might always be in him and he excepted that that was who he was now. But that didn't mean he couldn't find his old self again as well. He had Johanna now, he had to be responsible, had to be a good father and now he realised he wanted to be a good and decent man for Nellie. She deserved that...

His killing days were now behind him. He had sold his razors and had made quite a bit of money for them. With that money he would put it in an envelope for Mrs Lovett. He never paid her for allowing him to stay at her place, he owned her so much that this little donation was hardly anything, but at least it was something and a start.

"Father?"

Standing alone in Hyde park Sweeney turned to see his daughter heading towards him up the footpath. She was wearing a light pink dress and matching bonnet, but what was most beautiful was the large smile she gave him as their eyes met. Smiling towards her as she ran towards him they embraced in a warm hug. Squeezing him tight Johanna didn't want to let him go she had missed him, so much.

"I'm glad you were able to meet me" he said softly pulling away to look at her as she smiled up at him happily. Her eyes scanned his face and his new look...

"You look well" she commented noticing how his appearance had changed. His hair was shorter on his head and a little lighter too making it softer and not so dark. He was clean shaven and had smarter clothes on, again not dark but a light brown. Almost unrecognisable...

"Made a few changes" he smiled before looking at what his daughter was wearing "new dress?"

Nodding excitedly Johanna twirled around to show him with large smile lighting up her face. "Mrs Lovett brought me it, she's awfully generous.... spends all she makes on me" Sweeney had to admit that only made his insides twist with guilt. Just knowing how Nellie was looking after Johanna had made him feel even more guilty then he already had been.

"How have you been?" He asked offering his arm to her which she excepted as they began to stroll down the footpath together.

"Good thank you, myself and Mrs Lovett are really busy at the moment....we're baking fruit pies and they are selling very well"