Sweeney Todd pt2

The bell to Mr Todd's parlour chimed causing him to slowly glance up from where he was polishing his razors to see Mrs Lovett walk in. He watched through puzzled eyes as she quietly placed down his tray of food on the old trunk like she did everyday around this time. However recently she had been very quite. Normally Mrs Lovett would use this as an excuse to chat to him, not that he ever listened or bothered to engage in any conversation with her. Yet he didn't understand why that had stopped? He didn't really care but there was something in him that couldn't help but ask.

"Has something happened?" His dark voice made her jolt in surprise as she finished placing down the tray. She hadn't expected him to say anything...

As she stood she turned to look at him as he wiped his precious silver with a white cloth. What was she supposed to say? She couldn't exactly tell him the truth now could she? She couldn't go ahead and tell him the man she had secretly been courting these last few weeks had now broken her heart...

"How'd ya mean dear?" It was amazing to her that he even noticed her mood had changed. There had been many times he would walk in on her when she was sobbing and he never cared to ask, so why now?

Sighing he glanced back up at her from the dark corner of the room he was almost hidden in. "Never mind" he grumbled not wanting to seem that he cared. He didn't really and he certainly couldn't be bothered to push for answers.

After placing his razors back in their box he headed over to the tray she had prepared for him. Laid out was a few slices of bread and a warm bowl of what looked like cabbage soup.

"I'll leave ya too it" Mrs Lovett muttered absentmindedly whilst heading for the door.

"Thank you"

Pausing for a moment blinking in surprise and wondering for a second if she heard right she looked towards Sweeney. Did he just thank her?

Watching him tucking into his lunch she felt a small smile creep up onto her face. "You're welcome"

He didn't bat an eyelid to that just continued to eat. Maybe now was a good time to ask him what she had been wondering all day.

"I'm headin' into town this afternoon...I know ya don't particularly like the ole' market place... but I wondered if ya would like to come accompany me?" She knew it was likely to be a no but then she was so low at the moment that she was desperate for any kind of company, even if it was Mr Todd.

Pondering on what she was asking Sweeney looked up at her. Normally it would be a flat out 'No' but on this occasion he didn't want to see her meeting up with that Mr Callaghan either....

"As long as we're not there for too long"

Surprised by his answer she gave him a small smile "very well"

Carrying a bunch of brown paper bags filled with food and necessary items they needed Sweeney was beginning to regret his decision to come out. If he knew he would carrying everything they purchased whilst having to listen to Mrs Lovett ramble for hours he would have stayed home. Not to mention being surrounded by the crowds of the busy market place, this really was a bad idea.

Maybe she was indeed just shopping. He had thought Mrs Lovett was really coming here to see that man he thought she was secretly courting. But then if that was the case surly she wouldn't have asked him to come along?

Oh he didn't know, nor did he care. All Sweeney Todd wanted to do now was head back to the pie shop.

"So I told Mr Travis that if he is gonna hang around me shop he should start payin' for me pies...the old perv only wants to catch a glimpse of me chest...even had the cheek to pinch me behind whilst I was servin' me customers.."