Chapter Twenty-Three

"Congratulations my lady! You are with child!"

Ceryse sat on her bed as the grand maester delivered the news after the checkup. A child... Ceryse thought to herself and reached for her belly. "Thank you Grand Maester Gawen..." Ceryse spoke softly.

Grand Maester Gawen smiled "I will inform the King and queen at once."

Ceryse's heart pounded I must tell Maegor Ceryse thought to herself, but she stopped. Queen Visenya will surely inform him once she hears of the news from the grand maester.

As grand maester Gawen turned and took his leave, closing the door of the chamber. Ceryse smiled to herself.

Ceryse stood up from her bed and walked to her large mirror, standnding in front of it. Ceryse put both her hands on her belly, as she looked in the mirror with disbleife. After seven years of marriage to Maegor, she finally was with child.

Ceryse chulked elegently and sat on her knees,first reaching for her emerled necklace, squeezing it, and then rechaing for her belly, stroaking her thumb over her belly, as if the child within her could feel her gentel touch.

Once all she cared for was to bear a child for her husband, so her duty to her husband, gods and the relam would be fulfilled. But over the years, the sense of duty had shaped itself in a from of want.

Maegor was not a monster she had been told, but he also was not the kindest man. The bed they shared together felt good, Ceryse admited that, but her marriage to Maegor was a lonely one. After years and Maegor only visiting her at night to share her bed, her desire for a child had grown far more than her desire for fullfulling her duty.

Whatever that child may be... I will love it as I already do... Ceryse thought to herself. There was a time she would have offered to take this child out of her womb and leave it for husband, so he could have his hair... But this being inside of her. This small heart that beats and grows inside of her... is her child.

A boy or a girl... it mattered not to her. Though she desired a son. And if it a girl I will love and cherish her as she deserves, but boys... they will always come back to their mothers. Ceryse smiled at the thought of it. For she could see the love Maegor bore for his mother. She wished for her son to love her just the same.

Ceryse had lost her mother when she was quite young, thought she carried good memories of her. My child will have a mother as I did, thought for a short while, but I shall be there for my child, every step of the day.

_________________

That night, Ceryse brushed her long and beautiful raven hair as she sat in front of her mirror as she was in her nightgown and her emerald necklace.

Her door was opened and Maegor walked in wordlessly. Ceryse gently got up from her seat and turned her body and head towards Maegor. "Husband."

Maegor eyes were softer than what she was accustomed. As if he was lost for words. "Wife." Ceryse watched as Maegor studied her like a lost child. "Congratulations and I must thank you... for carrying my child."

Ceryse's eyebrows slightly went up in surprise. "Your child Maegor? Not ours?" Ceryse asked.

Maegor was taken back, as if he did not expected such an answer. "I know you are only doing this out of duty for further strengthening the alliance between our houses, Ceryse."

"This child is my child Maegor! A child of our duty to our houses and the realm perhaps but this child is also mine!" Ceryse spoke sharper than she intended to.

Maegor was taken back once more as his angry eyebrows went up in surprise.

Ceryse reached for her emerald necklace, over her nightgown, and held it between her thumb and forefinger and took in a deep breath. "I carry our child Maegor... you may only wish for an heir, but not I... not anymore..."