Chapter Forty-Eight

Amethyst looked at the Golden City from the camp, not so far from the city.

Golden City... Home... Amethyst thought to herself. At long last I am back where Lion of the Night breathed life into me.

After nearly three months of riding they were close enough to the city to see it glow from a distance. The early hours of the morning were still as black as night, but Golden City glowed like a burning flame in a dark cave.

Over ten years had passed from the day Daemion recused her from the city... Ten years from the day her father was silenced and replaced by her brother... Her beloved BuGai.

The only brother she ever truly loved.

Amethyst calmly shook her head and called out. "Sly."

Sly walked to Amethyst. "Yes, Mistress?" Sly, unlike most days, wore armour, though a light one for he couldn't find an armour that would cover his large body, especially his large belly and muscular arms. His head was shaved and his orange mustache was recently dyed anew.

"Are the archers ready?" Amethyst asked Sly as she calmly wore her helmet.

"Yes, Mistress." Sly answered. "Commander is also ready."

"Will you call him for me?" Amethyst asked calmly as she turned her gaze toward Golden City.

"Of course, Mistress." Sly spoke and with that, he walked away to find Daemion to call him for Amtheyst.

After moments passed Daemion walked toward Amethyst. He wore the armour that she had made for him five years ago. The armour he nearly died in the first time he wore it... His long raven black hair fell over his shoulders, as his breathtakingly beautiful face looked calm, but his deep violet eyes were determined.

"My Empress." Daemion spoke as he bowed his head. "Having second thoughts?"

"No, my dear Daemion. I only wished to see you before you left to burn an opening for the army." Amethyst spoke as she turned her head and looked at Daemion, her black eyes looking deep in Daemion's deep violet eyes.

"By afternoon you will be Empress, Amethyst. I promise." Daemion spoke detemaind. "You've led us through all these years, made alliances that brought all our men here today... You are the Lioness of Yi-Ti."'

Amethyst felt as if her doubts were washed away, for she had Daemion's confidence, as always.

"Then watch this with me, Daemion. Watch as the result of ten years of our struggle." Amethyst spoke as she turned her gaze back to Golden City. Daemion stood by her side and looked at Golden City.

"Let the arrows fly." Amethyst spoke loudly.

Upon hearing that Sly turned his head toward the archers and yelled. "MEN!" And the Archers drew their arrows and waited for the final command, Sly turned his head toward Amethyst and waited for her command.

Without turning her head toward Daemion, Amethyst spoke calmly. "Are you ready to fly too, Daemion?"

"Yes, Lioness." Daemion spoke calmly.

Amethyst looked at the Golden City. Amethyst spoke with the passion of an Empress worthy of her name. "Loose."

And a thousand burning arrows flew through the air toward the Golden City.

As the arrows left the bow, Daemion grabbed Amethyst's hand. Amethyst turned her gaze toward Daemion and looked up at Daemion's beautiful face and deep violet eyes.

The thousands of burning arrows in the sky took the shape of the sun, brightening up the sky as Daemion and Amethyst held hands.

"I love you..." were Words that neither have them ever spoken. Words that were only ever spoken through their deeds... Amethyst could not help but worry if it was too late to say those words... I had ten years to speak those words... But today... One of us might die... If one must die, let it be me...