Chapter Thirty-Nine

Rhaena turned her head toward the chamber's door and watched as Lana walked in along with Aerea.

Rhaena stood up from Rhaella's side and immediately walked to Aerea and began looking all over her.

"Where were you?!" Rhaena asked harshly and worried. Rhaena knew her daughter's blood burned for adventure, but she knew Aerea was too young to explore all by herself. "Don't ever do anything like this again! You are still a child, Aerea!"

But Rhaena can see Aerea's mind is elsewhere as if she cannot hear Rhaena's voice. Aerea raised her head and looked at her mother.

"Who is Daemion The Black Dragon, mother?" Aerea asked her deep violet eyes were taken by curiosity as she looked at her mother.

Rhaena felt her heat as it skipped a beat as her daughter spoke his name... The sound of his name... His tender caress...

"Where did you hear that name?" Rhaena asked softer than before.

"Lord Alyn Stokeworth and Ser Arthur Swygert were talking about him." Aerea answered as she looked at her mother. "Who is he, mother?"

"He..." Rhaena tried to think of the proper words. "He is Daemion Targaryen. He is my uncle's son with his late lady wife Ceryse Hightower who passed years ago. Long before you were born, my love." Rhaena spoke calmly as she smiled a weak smile. "He is our... cousin."

Cousin... Rhaena bitterly thought to herself. If only I could tell you, my beautiful girl... if only...

"Where is he now?" Aerea asked curiously as her curiosity grew.

That is a question I've been asking myself for years and yet I don't wish to know the answer to, my love. Rhaena thought to herself with a broken heart.

"I... don't know. He left years ago." And took my heart with him. Rhaena thought to herself. "I've not seen or heard of him even before you were born."

"Do you miss him?" Aerea asked.

Every day and night my sweet girl... Rhaena thought to herself. Every passing moment that I am not with the two of you I miss him...

"Yes. I do miss him. As does your father and grandfather. He was well-loved by everyone in the Red Keep... Especially men who followed him to battle." Rhaena smiled. Ser Walder Lannett and his men's devotion to Daemion was what came to her mind. She still heard that Ser Walder still carried a grudge against her husband and their grandfather for they blamed them for Daemion's departure...

"If he was so loved by all why did he leave?" Rhaella asked gracefully as she closed her book and walked to the back of her mother and stood next to her twin. "Was it his duty that took him elsewhere?"

"You would not understand now, my beautiful girls." Rhaena hesitated and smiled softly as she turned around and looked at Rhaella. "Perhaps one day you can ask him yourself."

Rhaena can see Aerea nodded, but Rhaella does not appear to be satisfied with her answers.

"What if he never comes back?" Rhaella asked gracefully and innocently.

Rhaena looked at Rhaella, and no answers came to her...

___________________________________

Rhaella was not satisfied with her mother's answers.

Aerea had been fussing over him since she had heard his name two weeks ago.

Rhaella had tried to ask her septa and Lana, but not much was said of Daemion the Black Dragon. But the frown and concerned look on their faces was enough for Rhaella to know that his name was not welcomed.