Chapter Fifty-Six

Jaehaerys rushed up the stairs alongside his grandfather, toward Rhaena's chamber.

As they pushed the door open, he saw as his elder sister being taken care of by the maids and a maester, as she was unconscious.

His mother, Dowager Queen Alyssa, was already present and was sitting by Rhaena's bed, holding Rhaena's hand as her eyes filled with tears as she kept whispering. "Thank you, Mother. Thank you Stranger for not taking my girl."

Jaehaerys walked and sat kneeled to Rhaena's height, as she placed her hand on Rhaena's other hand and leaned down and kissed Rhaena's forehead. "Thank the gods..." Jaehaerys whispered.

"It was not gods who burned Oldtown, it was my grandson, Daemion with Modread." Visenya spoke. "The Crown Prince Daemion Targaryen."

"So Daemion has returned... with my sister." Jaehaerys spoke calmly. "I must see him so we could—"

Visenya cut Jaehaerys off. "If you know what is for the best, Jaehaerys, you will leave Daemion be." Visenya spoke. "Anything that needs to be discussed, will be in the Small Council."

But Crispian Celtigar believed otherwise.

"As much as we emphasize with him, Dowgar Queen, now that the main pillar of the rebellion is broken, thanks to Prince Daemion, the rest will follow them into destruction when a King ascends the Iron Throne!" Crispian Celtigar spoke.

"There is no discussion! Daemion will be King!" Visenya spoke as she struggled to stand up and spoke strongly. "He is a war hero. A conqueror and he is Maegor's one and only heir! Maegor announced Daemion as the Crown Prince!"

"He is—" Crispian Celtigar was cut off before he could answer the Dowgar Queen, with Jaehaerys's strong voice saying. "Enough!"

With that Jaehaerys looked at the maester and asked. "Is my sister sable enough for you to leave this chamber for a few minutes?"

"Well considering—" As the Maester began to explain, he was cut off.

"Is she stable enough?!?" Jaehaerys asked harsher as he frowned a blood-chilling frown. Alyssa looked at Jaehaerys worried, obvious she did not want the maester to leave Rhaena.

"Yes, my Prince. She is." The maester spoke softly.

"Then get out of this room for a few minutes." Jaehaerys ordered calmer and looked at his mother. "You too, mother."

With that, the maester, the maids and Alyssa quickly left the room to stand by the door, until the small council could council in the privacy of Rhaena's chamber.

As the last of the maids left, Crispian Celtigar turned his head toward Dowgar Queen Visenya and spoke.

"Prince Daemion is a powerful dragon rider and a respected man among the men loyal to him, yes. But he has most likely committed Kinslaying in Oldtown! Whispers of it have taken the Red Keep that he has killed his own uncle by his own hands! Not his men, he did it himself!" Lord Alyn Stokeworth spoke. "The realm will not accept a Kinslayer on the throne!"

"He saved my granddaughter!" Aethan Velaryon spoke angrily. "If he has killed Martyn Hightower, he has killed the man who broke oath and held a guest as a prisoner and killed the other! If anything Prince Daemion showed him mercy by killing that bastard!"

"That does not make him any less of a Kinslayer!" Lord Alyn spoke sharply. "Just look outside of the windows, my Lord, my Queen. Everyone can see the black smoke from Oldtown! He burnt a city with people inside of it!"

Visenya scoffed. "Do you think Westeros was united by with gentle requests and promises of a free land? It was made with blood! Those who broke oath will always pay it with the life of those who follow them!"