Chapter Thirty-Five

Maegor pushed the chamber door open and calmly entered the chamber.

The news of his niece giving birth to two girls had spread like a dragon's fiery breath through the Keep. And now he could see why.

In the chamber, Aenys was holding one of his granddaughters, and his nephew Aegon was holding the other and his niece Rhaena rested on the bed with her eyes close.

"Brother! Your've come!" Aenys spoke happily as his eyes fell on Maegor.

Maegor hummed and looked at Aenys. "Congratulations, Aenys." Megor spoke coldly and turned his head toward Aegon and then Rhaena.  "Congratulations, nephew, niece."

"Thank you, Uncle." Aegon responded respectfully as he placed his daughter back in the arms of his wife and mother to his children, Rhaena.

"Look at her brother! This one right here is Aerea!" Aenys spoke as Maegor watched Aenys cradled his granddaughter. "The little one in her mother's arms is Rhaella!" Aenys smiled softly as his lilac eyes sparked.

Maegor stepped closer and looked at the fragile but a pretty little thing, though very fragile but she looked healthy.

Aerea made some small movements in her grandfather's arms and for half a heartbeat opened her eyes and looked at Maegor.

Maegor's eyebrows slightly went up as he met Aerea's deep violet eyes. Maegor knew, the only members of his house who bore deep violet eyes were his mother, himself and his son.

His aunt, Rhaenys, and her line bore purple and lilac eyes rather than deep purple eyes. Interesting Maegor thought to himself without thinking much into it, for something else about the child that interested him.

Apart from her deep violet eyes, oddly the child was familiar... As if Maegor had seen that little face somewhere before. He could not shake the feeling of it off, like a scratch on his eyes... For a reason, the child somewhat reminded him of when Daemion had just been born.

Moments passed as Maegor looked in Aerea's eyes and she looked back at him. "Come brother!" Aenys smiled as he gently offered Aerea. "Hold her!"

"It is not a good idea, Aenys. I've not held any child since..." Maegor paused at the realzation of how long he had not spoken his name. "...Since Daemion."

Rhaena looked at Maegor as Daemion's name was brought up, but not Aegon, Aenys nor Maegor noticed.

"Well... Let us change that!" Aenys smiled softly and placed Aerea in Maegor's arm, and walked to his daughter, Rhaena and sat by Rhaena as he softly stroked Rhaella's growing silver hair.

Maegor looked at Aerea with a deeper look. Trying to see what of this child, apart from her eyes, was familiar to him. He kept looking but he could not find any reason.

After a few short minutes, Maegor gently placed Aerea back in her cradle, as he felt an old wound was opened once more.

Maegor softly turned around looked at Aegon and Rhaena. "You have blessed our house. Congratulations." Maegor spoke coldly and turned his head to Aenys. "I congratulate you once again brother... Father will be happy." Maegor spoke coldly and walked out of the chamber before Aenys could respond.

____________

Maegor walked down the hallway, but he was lost in his thoughts. The image of Daemion as a newborn weighted heavy on his mind.

Maegor missed Daemion dearly. Over nine moons had passed since the last time Maegor had looked upon his son. Maegor wished he could write a letter to Daemion. But what would he write? Where would he send it? All he knew was that Daemion was somewhere in Yi-Ti... Where? Only Daemion himself knew it.