Chapter Fifty-One

It was expected that the Red Keep to fall apart upon hearing the news of the King's demise, but instead, their eyes looked at Maegor and their words carried the weight of whatever it was Viserys who was going to sit upon the Iron Throne, or the mighty Maegor the Cruel.

And Visenya knew it.

Visenya held Aerea's head against her dress in her own chamber as for the first time she could see the rouge Aerea was truly shaken by her mother's capture, but she had found a refugee and comfort by Visenya's side. As if the older dragon could protect her from the gods themselves.

Rhaella chose to pray for her mother by Lana's side on the other side of the room. "Lana. Take care of the girls."

But as Visenya tried to walk away, Aerea grabbed the silk of her dress, unwilling to let go of her. "Don't go..." Aerea spoke as she held her face up, trying to show that she was not shaken, which she was.

"Do not worry, I'll be back," Visenya spoke and leaned down and pressed a soft kiss to the top of Aerea's head, and with that, Visenya left the chamber, for she knew she was going to find her son, the small council chamber.

But before that, she needed to bring Maegor her gift. A gift that had waited in Visenya's keeping for years.

                           ________________

Maegor saw as his mother entered the small council chamber as she held something in her hands which he could not see, but yet the members of the council were too divided in fear and shock at the situation to realize who had entered the room, for they continued to argue among themselves.

"– But we need a King for men to rally behind!" Lord Crispian Celtigar    finished his words.

"Now is not the time to cry for a King! The traitors of the realm are right under our noses in the Sept of Remembrance! We must crush them first before taking any other action!" Aethan Velaryon spoke as he stood up. "We must burn that Sept on top of their heads!"

The council once more broke between arguments.

Princess Alysanne spoke. "That means losing people of Kingslanding's faith in the crown by destroying the symbol of piosity. Not to mention that King Aegon built that in memory of our grandmother!" To which Jaehaerys wordlessly nodded, silently supporting his sister's argument.

Prince Viserys protested. "There is no purity or piosity about traitors! I care not that foul place is built in honour of our grandmother, little sister. We have a garden and weirdwood tree with her bones beneath it to remember her by!" Viserys argued. "Burn that shithole to ashe!"

"But the presence of a KING is needed as a symbol for the men who still are loyal to us!" Ser Gawen Corbray spoke as he walked a line as he thought. "The King's gentle nature has led us to this... We cannot afford another–"

"I will burn that Sept on top of Morgan Hightower's head..." Maegor spoke coldly, as his heavy and deep voice silenced the whole of the small council. "And upon my return from slaughtering those sons of whores I will be crowned as King."

The council remained silent. No one spoke a word, nor did they move a muscle. No one but Visenya calmly smiled at her son.

"But the king has two more sons!" Ser Crispian spoke calmly, though protest couldn't be heard from his voice. "What of King Aenys's second son, Prince Viserys?"

Visenya calmly walked forward to speak for Maegor, but it was Aethan Velaryon who stood up and with his purple eyes asked permission from Visenya to speak, to which Visenya calmly nodded.

"We need a King who can break the traitorous dogs that have chosen to fool themselves with a vision of freedom from Taragaryen rule." Aethan Velaryon spoke coldly but strongly, for it was obvious his words were one for the good of the realm rather than his own thoughts. "My grandson, Viserys, is a warrior but too careless, and Jaehaerys was never prepared for such a role. I do love my grandsons, but Prince Maegor is the man who has my confidence to wear the crown."