Chapter 7

"Hello father, I'm better now but I'm dying and how are you? " He would like to try saying that just to see their reaction but hey it certainly didn't seem like a good idea.

"Cale, are you feeling better, Ron told me you had some pain? I called the doctor. You have to be careful with your condition."

"I'm better, thank you. I don't need to see a doctor, I'm fine now." Cale said to reassure them, he was sitting against the back of the bed at the same time.

"If you had pain then there must be something wrong. Let him check you just to be sure" Deruth looked at him with almost teary eyes.

Cale was still hesitant, he didn't know if he was going to see the real state of his condition or not. Maybe he didn't see it the first time because he didn't feel anything either, so now what's going to happen? And above all he couldn't imagine everyone's reaction if they ever found out about his condition.

Although the pain had lessened it was still there but he must not show it otherwise they will see him and it could complicate all his future plans.

"Cale you should..."

Deruth stopped talking when Cale suddenly got up from his bed and headed to the corner of the room. He could now see two kittens. He was too busy with Cale's condition to notice them at first.

"Cale where did you find them?"

"In the street, they were alone. I decided to adopt them and take care of them. Besides, I have to give them a bath."

Cale found the perfect distraction, he headed to the bathroom and closed the door.

Seeing that Cale had escaped, Deruth took the opportunity to speak with the doctor.

"Do you think it could be due to his illness? "

"Maybe, but without examining it I can't be sure."

"*sigh* I'll talk to him later..."

With that the doctor left and the Count instructed Ron to monitor Cale more carefully and warn him of any problems. The count then also left.

Only Ron remained in his place with his gaze on the bathroom door. He knew unlike the others that Cale just fled the conversation and especially the doctor's control. Did he know something they don't know about his condition? He hoped he wasn't hiding anything serious from them.

Cale was busy washing the kittens, he quickly showered and soaped them even though he did it quickly, he did it carefully. They purred under his touch.

" Thank you for helping me. "

The kittens were surprised by these words. Why did they talk to them like humans? And why did he thank them?

"You helped me out of the room earlier and you looked worried by the tree."

"I saw that you seemed to be alone, would you like to stay with me, to thank you? "

Although they were hesitant, they couldn't trust just anyone, especially a noble even if he was kind. But they were in a comfortable and warm environment so they will take the risk. It's always better than dying in the street.

They meowed in response.

"You can answer me in human language, I certainly recognized you, you were the two children near the tree, right? "

"Yes... are you going to chase us away now that you know we are beasts children? " The red kitten asked hesitantly. They knew how people of their kind treated beastmen.

"No, I'm not going to do it, it doesn't change anything for me. If you could help me when I need you, that's all I'll ask in return, I'll give you something to eat. You do not have to accept, however. "