chapter two | take some interest

C A R T E R M A D D O C K S

MY BACK IS in pain, my legs are aching and I can barely keep my eyes open. Getting up at five is normally an easy thing for me. However today, after having the week off and only going to the gym in the nights with Iwan, it was a hard one.

Especially having to go to school after. So now, as I sit at our usual lunch table, in my usual spot which is closest to the door, I lean as far as I can in my char, legs spread and arms crossed, I stare in one place. My phone. Trying not to ware myself out too much, otherwise tomorrow I won't get up for anything. The gym or school.

Everyone around me is deep in conversation about the bunch of kids that have moved into town. A big family according to Iwan and Jess who watched them move in. Eight kids, only five of them are in Cwmllyn High at the moment though.

I haven't really seen much of any of them, but I know a few of the lads got caught up in a conversation with the eldest boy, I didn't catch his name but apparently he's interested in joining the school team.

We need it honestly, if we want to win this season, otherwise there will be no winning of any sorts. With last years players moved away and going off to university now, it's just us lads and a few of the younger ones.

We're not a terrible team, but another body in team certainly won't hurt.

Molly, one of my trainers, is banging on about scouts coming to the next school game, on my phone.

I try to reassure her that we'll be fine, but she won't stop going ok about how they'll be there for me, and not for the team. The Welsh team has had their eyes on me for years, I know I'm a good player, but I'm not stupid enough to go out and brag about it, I have talent but one wrong move could take it all away from me.

All I have to do is make sure to pass school, behave and I'll for sure get the call up. I've already played for the team with smaller games, nothing major like a grand-slam, just games that don't really get aired on major channels, and all for under 18's. But I'm eighteen now, so the moment I finish school, I can get the call up to the team. The team everyone wants to be on.

It's as I finish my conversation with Molly, and begin to reply to my sister, that Jessica Gold comes banging into the canteen and over to the table. Tara Hamilton following behind them, both looking like they've hit the jackpot.

Tara walks past the front of the table and to a spare seat next to her boyfriend Dafydd Williams, Jess however takes a seat directly in front of me, next to Iwan. Iwan puts his hand over the back of her chair and I watch as she slightly leans in.

They're not together, everyone knows that, but everyone can also see how much they want to be together. I'm not even sure why they aren't.

"We've just spoken to the new girl. She's so sweet." She smiles and taps her hands on the table. "Honestly, you guys should talk to her..." she carries on, a bright smile on her face as she looks down the table as everyone listens in.

Everyone's curious about this new family, some more than others as you can tell. Carrying on my conversation with my sister who's not in the canteen and probably in a classroom with her friends somewhere, I feel Jess' eyes glare at me. But I don't look up.

"Maybe someone will look away from their phone and take an interest in her," she says it like she's talking out to the world, but I know it's aimed at me. Closing off my phone, I slide it into my school trouser pocket, and look at her.

She's a very pretty girl, don't get me wrong, but I've never been interested in her like that. She's more of a sister to me, many of the girls at this table are, mainly the ones who are girlfriends to my teammates. A few of them, I don't see like that so much, and I've had a thing or two with them. But that's about it.

I'm not a huge fan of relationships. And with my future being so close, I don't have time for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mean to the girls in anyway, they know what they're getting into before it even starts.

"Don't start, Jess." I groan at her. For years she's wanted me to have a girlfriend. Says it'll make me less of a 'grumpy prick' - her words - , but I just can't. "The girl looks young anyway." I lie, I haven't even seen her. "She's probably not even in Libby's year."

Libby is one Iwan's sister, she's only in the year below, and she's with Harry Milton, Iwan's not too happen about that, but she's sixteen, and I don't know, too young for me. And again, I see her as a sister.

"You're right." Jess starts, and I think I've steered her off, until she smirks to herself. "She's in our year." Oh. I don't say anything after that, I don't even know who she is, so i hope Jess doesn't get her hope up too much, because it's definitely not happening. "There is something familiar about her though." Jess the drags on, looking at Iwan who stares into her eyes.

"You always see something familiar in someone, babe," he purs at her and she blushes, like I said, they're not together, but they basically are.

"Shush." She laughs at him, but I can't help but wonder why she thinks there's something similar about her. Maybe she's famous? Nah, no famous person would move to Wales, let alone Cwmllyn.

❦ ❦ ❦

SITTING IN MY usual seat for history, Iwan and Harry are busy arguing about some historical date, while my eyes are trained on the table of girls at the front of the class.

Jess, Tara, and the twins Hailie and Hannah all sit with their books open. All of their eyes locked on a girl sitting beside Jess. A girl I've never seen before. The new girl I'm assuming.

Jess was right, there is something familiar about her. I can't explain it though. Maybe I've seen a picture of her or something. Maybe she's just from around here and only just moved here. But that wouldn't explain moving house.

She's got dark brown hair, and the smallest of noses, big puffy lips and freckles lining her face. The table is only a few feet away so it's not hard to see her, although with the class being loud, I can't hear her voice, or understand anything she's saying.

She's the definition of beautiful though.

It's then our teachers starts the register. The class falls silent and the only sound is the teacher calling names, and the students replying with "yma" , and then she gets to her.

"Melanie Leighton." The teacher calls out, and her voice fills my ears, it's soft but also raspy.

"Yma." She replies moments later, but my eyes stay trained on hers.

Melanie Leighton. Why do I recognise that name so much? Who is this girl?